1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dissociation

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DreamerBoy17, Mar 1, 2016.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been going through a rough time lately. Something kind of strange has been going on the last few days, and happened for a few days in December of last year. I feel like I'm walking through the day in a haze of mist. Nothing seems real, almost like a dream, and nothing really connects. I feel as though I'm constantly forgetting something important but I can't place it. And my memory is bad as well. This evening my sister walked right by me when she came home and I didn't even know she was home until an hour later. I literally had no memory of what had happened. Also, I feel really disconnected with my body. I still am trans, that has never been a doubt in my mind, but I don't feel like I'm quite... in it? It's hard to describe. It's like I'm watching a movie and not really paying attention. I'm extremely disconnected to the world right now.

This is very confusing to me and I'm not sure why it's happening. If anyone can give any insight, it would be much appreciated.

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It could be due to stress. I went through a period that sounds a bit like that a couple years back and after a few months I got back to normal(ish), memory and concentration came back, didn't zone as much etc.

I'm not sure what to suggest that will 100% work but maybe try relaxation techniques? Meditating or yoga? Something that requires a lot of concentration so you're not focusing on all of the other stuff in your life. It would just provide you with a bit of down time and time to relax too.

#2 Aberrance, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  3. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know exactly what you mean. I have a therapy session right now, so I'll respond later. Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with you.

4. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What you described sounds like depersonalization. It can be caused by stress, anxiety, and depression. I've read that meditation or yoga can help.

But it's best if you seek professional help :slight_smile:

5. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, this is classical dissociation. It is a coping mechanism that kicks in when your conscious mind cannot handle the emotional overload you are experiencing. It becomes a problem if it becomes the primary coping mechanism for you.

I would advice you seek help from a mental health professional so that you could get help processing your issues before they more seriously affect your mental well-being.

6. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I've been through this a couple months ago and it happened 3-4 times. It's an episode of disassociation like everyone else said, caused by excessive anxiety and/or emotional overload basically. I felt extremely scared and worried after it, so I just wanted you to know there's no need to be too worried but it's still a good idea to talk to a school counselor/social worker, or if you have a therapist or something, you should talk about this with them. In December, was there a significant event or increase in depression/anxiety? Same with now?
    If this is the case, and it doesn't persist too often without reason it's not a serious issue.
    Hope you feel better (*hug*)

7. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all for the support. I'm glad I'm not going crazy yet!

I actually am meeting my gender therapist for the first time within a week or two. They're helping me not only with dysphoria, but depression, anxiety, and probably this too. I think I understand now that my emotions were just too much. I have a lot of personal things going on, and something is happening to a family member I'm worried about. It's very hard to hope.

In December, I actually has my first real panic attack a few days before dissociation set in, so yes, stress is a huge factor.

Thinking back on it, I always thought it strange a year ago that I never cried at my grandpa's funeral. I sat numbly for days in a dreamlike state. I definitely intend to talk about these things to my therapist. Thank you all, and any further advice is still certainly welcomed and appreciated.

8. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does it feel like you're an empty shell looking out? Like, you know you're alive, but you feel nothing? I felt this way before. I got help and everything came back.

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    This is basically my default state of being. I've had it a lot throughout my entire life as far as I can remember. I've had it worse at different stages in my life though; for example after I was sexually assaulted I literally can't remember anything from a year on or something. So yeah... Dissociation is common when your psyche is under heavy emotional stress, as has been mentioned above. It's also very common for trans people - I mean, it's easier to just pretend the stuff between your legs and whatnot isn't there, right?