1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm being monitored :(

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spot, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents have found out that I've been deleting my history, I do this because I haven't come out to them and I don't want them to find out, I don't want to come out until I'm living on my own. They've been hearing that you shouldn't trust teens with unsupervised Internet access and now they think that I'm doing something inappropriate and they're getting super suspiscious. The Internet is basically the only place I get support from. So now I can't delete my history (I'll still do it for today) and I don't know what I'm supposed to do?

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are ways to browse privately in most internet browsers. While the most competent of techies can get your browser history even if you go incognito, this way will be atleast effective in keeping your parents at bay if all they do is just look at the broswer history.

Google Chrome - Incognito Tab/Brwser
    Firefox - Private Browsing
    Safari - Private Browsing
    Opera - Private Tab/Browser

Look them up and use them. I use Google Chrome incognito sometimes and it keeps the sites I visit off the browser history list. So I'd suggest you do all the other browsing on the regular browser window and use the incognito/private browsing windows for EC and any other LGBTQ+ related stuff. That way your parents can still see the "ok" sites you've visited and not suspect you're on EC or any other LGBTQ+ support site.

3. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah. I second Phoenix77. I never delete my internet history. I just use the private browsing/incognito for sites I wish don't show up in history.

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the above's strategies. I've managed to keep EC hidden for over a year on my iPhone with my tech-savvy dad by using private browsing mode on Safari. I never delete my regular history, and I don't act suspicious when he wants to go through my phone, so I doubt he knows.

And Colin, I hope you manage to find a way to stay online... I'll miss you! :frowning2:

#4 DreamerBoy17, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  5. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Also agree. private browsing works best.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes private browse if you can! Also don't worry about being monitored if they find out who you are then that's what happens.