1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chosen name on a resume

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Hawk, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a question about using a chosen name on a resume.
    -Is it acceptable to use a nickname or initials on a resume instead of your full given first name?

I don't plan on legally changing my name, but I do want to start going by a nickname or my initials. Would it be informal to use a nickname/initials on a resume?

2. Really

I don't think there's a problem doing that except for causing confusion in HR for things like benefits and T4s and whatnot.
    I think it would be perfectly fine to put:
    Hercule (Hawk) Poirot
    Many people go by names other than their legal one.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work in HR, so here's my two cents. Obviously on all official documents you'll need your legal name, but on a resume it doesn't matter. I've had applicants put a preferred name on their resume and their legal name only on their application. I've had applicants put their preferred name in parentheses or quotes on a resume. And I've had applicants put their legal name on a resume and then when I meet them they'll say "oh I actually go by (preferred name)."

It's really up to you. There's no right or wrong way to do it.

4. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No need to be formal but it is best to put your real name down so it doesn't look like you are being thoughtless or evasive. If you are lucky enough to be in the top two or three they will start background checking and it may annoy someone to discover this isn't your real name (don't trust they will remember this from the interview!). The last thing you want to do is make hiring you more difficult than it needs to be.

That said, putting a go-by name in quotes or parentheses is a nice touch. It helps make the resume reflect you - a real person. In fact, if your real name has a spelling that is not easy to guess, using an easy to spell nickname is a good idea. Studies show that hard to spell names, like Guiin For example, can put a resume at a disadvantage. Good luck on your search!

5. afgirl

Well, I work in HR, and I say use your legal name simply to avoid confusion. If you are called in to interview, introduce yourself and state your "go by" name. Once your there, you can be called whatever you like.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also would put your legal name on there, just to avoid confusion. Once called in, you can explain that you go by your nickname or initals. My legal name is Bradley, but I go by Brad. So, when I go in I introduce myself as Brad, and then most will call me Brad.