1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College courses and junk.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by UnsureOfAll, Mar 7, 2016.

1. UnsureOfAll

London? I guess. or Norwich... let's say Norwich.
    I'm kind of freaking out now. I have already applied for sixth form for a course that I thought would be good. But then i realised later that I only those it because i was borderline told to. I am now trying to get into one I actually want at a college I have applied and planned to tell my mom when i got back but when I started to tell her it came up that she didn't think I was allowed to pick another. So now i am applied to two places and only wanting one with a mom who wants me to take the one indolent want and she doesn't know I applied again. What do. I know this was stupid to do but I act very erratically sometimes. Help.

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You take the subjects you want, okay? You'll immensely regret it if you don't. This is your life, not your mums. Shes not going to have to sit in college all day taking courses that don't interest her whereas you are if you don't follow your own mind. Talk to a careers advisor or trusted teacher at school and get their help on the situation if you can. Have someone back you up and talk to your mum if needs be. Just please, please don't let her force you into subjects you don't want to take. College is a difficult enough jump from GCSE without resenting and hating it because you took the wrong choices.

The colleges should have taster days in July and you shouldn't have to accept a place before September so you have a while to look around and decide. Don't stress yourself out about it, think it through carefully.

#2 Aberrance, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  3. UnsureOfAll

London? I guess. or Norwich... let's say Norwich.
    I have tried twice and that broke my nerves. I get incredibly anxious about basically everything. And now that I've done something I feel like it was too early or something. She is trying to get the best for me but I need the courage to tell her I want to do this course. It is also in part of my teacher for the first subject he said I could do it and it made me feel trapped. I don't know what is happening. I don't think they realise how I comprehend the things they say.

4. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd suggest writing all this down. Write out a letter about how you feel, that you don't want to take the course she wants you to and you'd be much happier doing the other one. Getting it all down on paper and being able to proof read and edit it is a lot easier than just telling her out loud. I'm not sure what you mean by 'too early'? She might be trying to do what's best for you but you need some input in this as well. Like I said, this is your life, your future and in the end you should have the deciding factor about what you're going to study. She should give her own opinions and input but not make the decision for you. You're more than capable of knowing what you enjoy doing.

5. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^. This. Totally.

I had no choice on what course to take in college and stuff since my parents paid me fees and stuff, I had to take the course they "knew was good for me". While I don't deny that it opened a lot of doors for me, I hate the course, the field and feel like I've wasted the last couple of years. I've made it clear to my parents and they've accepted the situation and apologized for putting me through it.

I'd suggest you talk to you mom about it clearly. Don't bring about a situation where you regret it to late. Tell her that it's what you want to do and that if you don't do the course of your choice, you will likely end up regretting it and wasting years of your life, they're precious. I'm sure no parent would want that.