1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating - when do you just realise it won't happen?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by britabroad77, Mar 10, 2016.

1. britabroad77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all,
    Not sure really where I should be posting here but maybe someone'll offer some helpful advice :wink:
    Basically, I'm a gay man in his late 30s and my love life is a total disaster. I never get looked at, or chatted up, or flirted with by any guys EVER. I haven't had sex in over three years, haven't been on a date in 2 months and haven't even had a second date in ten years (I swear I'm not joking).
    I feel like I've tried everything and anything - have tried ever dating app under the sun. I do ok - as long as I don't put a face pic on there. As soon as I do nobody ever writes to me. I get that I'm pretty ugly as guys go, my face is pretty ugly, I'm fat, but to be honest I am starting to accept that this is as far as it's going to go. I'll be 40 next year and I have genuinely now started to accept that there isn't going to be a Mr Right (or even Mr Right Now) for me, but at what point does one accept that looking for love is a total waste of time?

If I'd have known that even getting one lousy date would be so hard, I would probably have thought twice about coming out in the first place.

2. Scaredboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think it would be silly for me to give you advice since I'm a lot younger than you but as far as I know, there's only one hope for us fat ugliest which is make money. The rest will come by itself. I learned this by chasing girls, and I assume it's the same with chasing guys. Think about it, no one is attracted to us, but EVERYONE IS attracted to money.

3. britabroad77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    haha, good point. Unfortunately if you're that repulsive that they won't have sex with you, they won't stay with you anyway...

4. Scaredboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Ah trust me my friend, as long as the money is there, they ain't going nowhere. Now if you run out, then you have a problem.

5. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    OK, 2 fast items:
    Join the gym and go every day 1hour at least.
    Ask a woman to style you up, give you honest advice on your appearance. Can be just an acquaintance.

#5 Orchidea123, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  6. truebraethic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ugh, I relate.

7. FreshApple

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Don't accept you'll never find someone. There is a special someone for everyone on this planet. For some it will be a tougher road than others.

Did you ever ask feedback why they never wanted a second date?

It seems you already reflected why no one is dating you. I didn't have any luck myself, until I got a haircut, lost a lot of weight and now I get a lot of matches on dating apps. Most importantly it gained me a lot of confidence.

Don't give up and work for it. You will find someone in the end.

8. FreshApple

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    -double-

#8 FreshApple, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  9. britabroad77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thing is, I did that. I lost heaps of weight already, I'm now 2kg away from target weight. The problem is that "target weight" in the gay community still means "grotesquely fat".

Plus, I can lose all the weight I like but if I'm ugly, no man'll be interested in me anyway. Unless there's something you know that I don't?

---------- Post added 13th Mar 2016 at 12:05 PM ----------

And yes, I tried changing dating apps as well.....tried every single app going. Even tried the ones where you have to pay and fill out a questionnaire because it's allegedly more serious...

To the poster who asked why there wasn't a second date....well, some guys said "mmm sorry, you're not my type". I've had that countless times. At what point does one start realising that "you're not my type" is code for "hey dude, get with the program and accept that you're too damn ugly and no guy wants to fuck you".

10. starlightonmars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not adjust your target if you're close already? It sounds like having a target was a motivation for you, you might as well keep it going until you fit 'gay community standards', if that's something you think will make you happy. If you're happy with keeping the target as it is, then fuck the standards. You'll find someone eventually, and by not falling into the standards bracket you'll avoid the shallow people anyway.

I'd second asking a female or a gay male friend about some style/haircut tips. A few changes can make all the differences. Dress for your age and go for that handsome middle aged guy look. Black is slimming, and darker colours are in right now. Avoid stripes of any kind as they can be unflattering. I always think facial hair and some minor greying can be attractive in guys around your age. It makes them appear to have the wisdom of an older guy but the looks of a slightly younger guy. A haircut and wardrobe that reflects this can do wonders.

Another important thing to remember is to feel good about yourself. When you conquer your insecurities and find bits about yourself that you love it will shine through to other people no matter what. I've never found people interested when I'm looking - you're more likely to find dates when you don't seem to be looking for them as you appear less desperate and as if you have lots of other things going on. And failing everything, be funny. Even at my least confident I've been funny and it's helped me through.

11. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think part of it is confidence. Confidence is sexy and makes people much more attractive than they really are. Have you spoken to a therapist about these issues? It might pay off to find out if there are underlying issues that are getting in the way of a relationship. Just speaking from personal experience - I didn't think much of therapists until I had one, and she really helped me learn a lot about myself and its had a big impact on my life.