1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to embrace and explore being gay?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ChrisJames, Mar 11, 2016.

1. ChrisJames

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi all

I am 21, born and raised in London.
    I have only recently realised that there are a lot more gay areas than I had thought, like Shoreditch for example (other than the obvious Soho). I feel like I am in this big city where it's fine to be gay and there is so much to be grateful for, but at the same time, I feel like I am not taking advantage of this.

Even though I am proud of who I am, I am still in the closet, although most people that know me can tell that I am gay. I don't really have any close gay friends and the only people that know for sure that I am gay are my 2 previous (secret) boyfriends. I feel like there is this side of me that I haven't really explored or embraced fully.

Are there any things to do, places to go, experiences to have or anything worth knowing, that will help me explore this aspect of myself, embrace who I am and help me grow as a person?

Cheers!

2. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you are being a little hard on yourself. It's normal to be in the closet and to not have a lot of experience at your age. I suspect you haven't moved faster because so far it hasn't felt right for you to do so. I think it would be wise to respect those feelings. Be patient and let the right move come to you instead of you going to it.

3. tortoisemark

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think being gay is like some super power just as being straight isn't. Maybe instead of exploring your sexuality you could explore life. I mean try out different hobbies, go mountain climbing or to some wild life safari, try cooking, make friends, and see what you like.

Run marathons, do gardening in the backyard, learn a musical instrument...The list is endless.