1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coping with depression

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RahRahLM, Mar 12, 2016.

1. RahRahLM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do I haven't been officially diagnosed with it but I have been to docs. I got prescribed antidepressants but the side effects were too much to handle do I stopped. The thing is, it's more episodes than s permanent thing. It's like I can be happy and suddenly out of no way it'll hit me and I'll just rock bottom.

How do I cope with it?

I keep disappointing people everytime I slip down into my depressive slump. Sometimes I'll cry for no apparent reason to when I feel like this. I just don't know how to deal with it as it constantly gets control and all those thoughts, mentioned in previous posts, just batter my head.

Help

2. ConverseCody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling depressed. I have/still do struggle with it myself and its terrible. How long were you on your antidepressants for? Sometimes the side effects disappear after a while. I know that for me they disappeared after about 4 months.

Also your slumps could be due to you coming off antidepressants? This made me feel terrible for a very long time.

As for the horrible thoughts that batter your head, have you ever thought of setting aside a worry or thinking period? Its so hard just not to think about the things that bring you down but if you set aside a 10/20 min slot per day which is dedicated to mulling over your problems it makes the rest of your day much easier and your slumps much more managable. I've found this reduced my depression a lot.

3. RahRahLM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not long. 7 seven days back in January but the side effects and mouth sores were too much to handle so I stopped them.

I don't understand how the thinking period works. Surely if I set that time aside I've still gotta pull myself around and if I focus more on my thoughts then it'll be even more of s struggle

4. ConverseCody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Mouth sores? I'd never heard of that as a side effect. For me they gave me terrible anxiety. It doesn't work for everyone. I personally found it very useful and stopped me from dwelling on the things that got me down too much.