1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering telling my mom about cutting

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DreamerBoy17, Mar 14, 2016.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I "used" to cut and when I say used to, I mean I decided I was going to try to stop about two weeks ago. I hadn't been doing it very long, but it had been a huge source of guilt for me, and after some encouraging words from a close friend, I decided I would try and stop for her sake.

You see, my brain works best through guilting myself. It's why I even told a small amount of close friends to begin with- if I knew they were concerned about me and hurting, I would essentially have mental leverage over myself to quit. I tend to be a bit self-sacrificing and sensitive to those around me, and I can't bear the thought of them being worried about me.

That being said, the urge to hurt myself is starting to return and I'm terrified. So I'm considering telling my mom about self harm so that I have more leverage against myself so I won't do it. If I can't convince myself to stop for my own sake, I can do it for hers. I am very, very close to my mom; I tell her almost everything. It's hurt me a lot to keep quiet about the whole thing to begin with. I don't want to see her in pain, but I feel as though it might keep me from self harming.

Is anyone following this? Would it be a good idea to open up to her so I might have a better chance at quitting? I know I need help and she's the best one to give it to me.
    (And, by the way, I am seeing a therapist in two weeks.)

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I say yes. Hurting yourself physically is never a solution, and clearly it seems to me that you are at a stage where this has become a part of your life (cutting). So tell her about it immediately. Let her be a support for you, helping you through it.

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say you should tell her. It would motivate you to not cut again, and you will get the emotional support you need

4. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes. You should tell your mother.
    It would motivate you not to cut again, and also she would support you, and help you get through it.

5. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely agree with you. My parents found out from the searching my room and I'd definitely recommend it coming from you and her trusting you enough to tell her than for her to just find out on a whim. Especially if you're close to her, shes going to want to support and guide you in a better direction and like you said, its going to give you a better insentive to quit as you'd be able to talk to her or have her distract you if you had the urge to self harm.

6. I think you should tell, because your mom might be a source of healthy support. A support system to talk about things and reach out is a must.

7. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright, I think I will then. I'm not sure exactly when, I could wait until the weekend when she has me, or I could tell her over the phone before then. We'll see. Thanks, everyone! I'll keep you all updated.