1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does being "gay" making finding a partner more difficult?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RahRahLM, Mar 15, 2016.

1. RahRahLM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It feels like it.

Compared to being straight I'm guessing as that seems somewhat easier.

If I were looking for sex and hook ups then I could find it as its all over in the gay world, especially with men.

It's part of my worry of ending up alone because it seems impossible.

So... Is it more difficult to near impossible to find love whether your proactive or it happens when you least expect.

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Statistically speaking yes. If only 2.5% of the population would even in principle consider dating you vs. 47.5% for straights so yes, I would say it's more challenging. Especially since many straights find their partners through work, school or other non-dating activities.

Having said that the difficulty is not as big as the numbers would suggest. As long as there is sufficient numerical quantity of potential candidates the relative number doesn't matter so much. After all, straights don't go through every other opposite sex person either.

3. RahRahLM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well that sucks!!! :icon_sad:

4. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, yes. It is true that we have less of the population to choose from - and finding LGBT people, especially locally, can be difficult. However, it certainly isn't impossible and you shouldn't give up hope of finding someone. With a little hard work and patience, you'll find that there are still plenty of lovely LGBT people around.

5. Jerad1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The issue at hand is the patience component. I've been there, and I struggle with the fact that I want the love right now, but the fact is if you're diligent..it will happen...eventually...I hope...I think! Yes, I think I can; I think I can!

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My theory, and how my partner and I met, was to play the numbers. What do I mean by that? It means to put yourself out there in as many ways as possible. Get involved in LGBT community groups if there are local ones; join LGBT sport leagues; volunteer time at an LGBT oriented charity; be social and proactive when you meet people while shopping, traveling, etc; find local Meet up groups; diligently and carefully use select dating apps (recognizing that the vast majority on an app are only interested in a hookup, yet some are seeking relationships), and simply get out and live life.

Finally, I would also advise to try and limit any individual "checklists" that you may have. Be open minded.

Hope this helps.