1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to ask for a psychiatrist?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lonelyjamie, Mar 16, 2016.

1. lonelyjamie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been depressed for a long time, I think it started a year ago and it became worse. Nowadays is too hard to get out of bed, I don't eat well, I don't feel more pleasure doing things I used to enjoy and I think about killing myself almost everyday. I decided to ask my mom to take me to a psychiatrist but I don't know how to say that. I'm afraid of her reaction because our relationship got really strange after saying to her that I'm homossexual. The question is: what can I say to convince her that I really need a psychiatrist?
    Sorry for any English mistakes

2. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just ask-- if she really loves you, and im assuming she does it shouldnt be an issue.

If she says no, well you are 18--find one for yourself.

3. Buusy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you want to convince your mom just tell her how you feel, that it's hard for you to get up and that you don't enjoy your life (saying that you think about killing yourself could sound a bit too hard). You said that the relationship between you and your mother is strange but that doesn't mean that she doesn't care about you but that's just what I think.

4. truebraethic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    "I have been feeling really [whatever adjectives you find useful in describing your mood] lately and I think I would benefit from seeing a psychiatrist."

5. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tell your mom that you display clear and serious symptoms of depression and you need professional help. And a psychiatrist is the person who specializes in the treatment of mental problems. If that doesn't help, tell her that you are suicidal.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you sure that you need to see a psychiatrist in the first instance, rather than a therapist? Sometimes, people confuse the two.

I don't know how it works in your country, but in many parts of the world you need to be referred to a psychiatrist by another doctor (or therapist) who is concerned for your mental wellbeing.

I would suggest you try talking therapy first. You don't need to tell your mom about your sexuality in order to see a therapist, especially when you have so many other issues that are affecting your emotional wellbeing. All of the things (other than your sexuality) that you mentioned are legitimate reasons for talking to someone who can help you.

7. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is a fair point. However, how it goes depends on the country. In here, you can talk to a GP but they will refer you to either a psychologist or a psychiatrist. (For OP the most significant difference is that a psychiatrist is a doctor and can prescribe medicine.) It's also possible to directly book a time with psychiatrist too in here. Your depression sounds severe enough to warrant possible medication. I agree that you should go to therapy too but taking medicine to get over the worst phase is probably a good idea.

However, you should check the system in your country.