1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to wake up early?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kodo, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you wake up early, effectively? Obviously an alarm clock would be the typical answer, but that almost never works because - as my usual, insensible, groggy morning self - I'll just snooze it or shut it off before fully waking (I'm a hard sleeper too).

So, are there any other tips you early risers could give me for waking up at a nice and early hour?

2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have the exact same issue. What I did was put my alarm clock on the other side of the room so I'd have to get up and snooze it.

Only problem here is that I just go back to bed for "another 5 minutes" which almost always turns out to be an hour. I suppose I have to force myself out of bed, like tell me self that I'm gonna miss the bus or something (which certainly has happened many times).

I'll wake up no problem if there's something to look forward to, which makes sense.

#2 Jax12, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The across the room solution works, and then you just have to adamantly refuse to get back in bed for any length of time. It also helps to be slightly angry at the circumstances, which is probably going to happen naturally anyway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Set your phone, your tablet, and your clock to all go off at the same time that will wake you up.

5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Another solution in addition to the various alarms: drink lots of water before going to bed, your body will wake you up to deal with it. Useful trick featured in a Simpsons episode, and Lisa attributed it to Native Americans.

(And coincidentally I then read the next thread about cultural appropriation...)

#5 awesomeyodais, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  6. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use an app called "Can't Wake Up!" Alarm. I can choose between multiple tasks for me (Easy/Medium/Hard) to perform before the alarm switches off. Otherwise it will be ringing continuously and it prevents me from turning the volume down or switching off the device. So it's pretty effective.

I set the alarms on both my Smartphone and my Tablet to go off 5 minutes of each other. That way even if I complete the tasks on one device and go to sleep, the other device will ring immediately (I take 5 minutes to complete the hard tasks on the first device) and by that time any residual sleep I have is completely gone and I have to get up.

This works even better when I put both devices on opposite sides of the room, forcing me to walk all around the room and off my bed.

7. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just tell myself a ton of times before I fall asleep 'I need to wake up early' and it has been helping haha.

8. MountainUrsula

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I set my phone across the room, annoying but works. I also have an early morning job so between that and the clock it's got my internal alarm clock trained. Unfortunately that means waking up early on days off and not being able go back to sleep.:bang: