1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to explain a binder to my mom?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by JackIsANerd, Mar 23, 2016.

1. JackIsANerd

So my first binder is currently sitting in the mailbox and im kind of scared because I dont really know how to explain it to my family :bang: Any suggestions? Like an easy and simple way to explain it!

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you out to them yet? I mean they're unlikely to notice or mention it because what are you meant to say in that situation "where did they go?" people tend not to do that.

If they do though just say that your chest makes you feel really uncomfortable and you feel a lot more like yourself with it being flat. Try to compare it to something theyre familiar with like makeup? Analogies tend to make people understand a little easier.

3. JackIsANerd

Ah okay! I kind of came out but my family is choosing to ignore it sadly. I think I might sit my mom down and talk about dysphoria and stuff

4. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that's probably an idea. Dysphoria tends to be hard for people that don't experience it to understand but if you get enough emotion in there she should take it to heart and attempt to try and understand. If you back it up with research about gender dysphoria and how its a recognised diagnosis then she might be more inclined to accept what you're saying too. I hope it goes well.

5. TraceElement

You could compare it to a compression tank.