1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TAKING ACT and IELTS after one week help??!!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by joshy the queen, Mar 24, 2016.

1. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so..........i kind of have a college deadline on may 15 so i have to take ACT and IELTS both on 2 april and on 9 april
    can i cram it all up and succeed??!!
    i need 5.6 on IELTS
    and 28+ on ACT
    :tears::tears::tears::tears:
    the problem is i'm in my senior year and i also have to get a 3.0+ GPA
    WTF IS ALL THIS STRESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_sad:

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trust me IELTS is very simple.

I studied for a week and scored 8.5 on it. The only place I struggled was Writing and I scored low on it. Reading is fairly easy, Listening is the easiest of the four and Speaking is simple enough too. You don't need to stress about it.

Feel free to PM me anytime you want this week, I'll help you in anyway you want.

EDIT--

Do as many practice tests as you can. IMHO Writing can be tough, so no matter how much practice you do, it's the tense and sentence formation and paragraph formation that is important. [Type IELTS practice tests in youtube and check them out. Youtube also has many examples of Good Speaking Scores and Bad ones. Watch them. They're useful]

Do multiple Listening and Reading practice tests and try scoring full marks on it when you practice. It's going to make you do well in the exam.

As for Speaking, make sure you know at least basic current affairs (the major headlines) as you never know what the examiner might ask you. Just be confident, smile and don't hesitate. You will get marked down if you stutter, say um a lot and pause for more than a few seconds. Don't hesitate to ask the examiner to repeat the question (You aren't a native speaker of English so it's ok if you don't understand something the first time).

#2 Ram90, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  3. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok and what about ACT ???

4. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry. I haven't taken the ACT so I don't know anything about it.

5. Kr4d105s1

Practice tests are also useful for the ACT. It helps you get a better sense of how much time to spend on each part. There are many free tests you can print from the internet. The questions are fairly basic, but you must make sure you have time to get through them all. It helps to have a watch during the test.
    Read this and the links.

English (75q, 45min, 5 passages, social, history, ___, ___, science)- Since you're crunched for time I recommend taking one practice test, circling the questions you're unsure about, grading and learning the rules for the questions that you got wrong. The ACT repeats many of the same type of questions, so if you can get the most common questions right you should get a 28. Pay attention to redundancy, keep things simple, if you don't need a word or a comma get rid of it. Know when to use commas, semi colons and colons.

The last passage is usually related to science and technology. If you're good at it then do it first. There are 9 minutes per passage.

Remember FANBOYS (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so)
    Use a comma + a little conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so) to connect two independent clauses, as in "He hit the ball well, but he ran toward third base."

Math (60q, 60min)- one minute per question, skip and come back if you don't immediately know how to solve the question. Remember Pythagorean theorem (a^2 + b^2 = c^2), quadratic formula, basic trig (sine, cos, tan). Check that your calculator is allowed for testing.

Reading (40q, 35min, 4 passages, long, short, short, compare two) - read the questions first, circle the key words, annotate the text by underlining or circling, read quickly. approx 8 min per passage

Science - this is a graph reading exercise. I find it much easier to read the questions first and look for the answers in the graphs rather than trying to understand what the experiment is about before answering the questions.

I'll post some more things later if I have time. I took the test last year and got rid of my review stuff so this is just based on what I remember.

Good luck!