1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Another Country

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by flitterpad, Mar 24, 2016.

1. flitterpad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay. I know this isn't relevant at all to emptyclosets, but I just feel really upset about this and I need to vent my feelings somewhere. I'm moving countries. My whole life, I have lived in New Zealand and it's a big part of my identity. Now my parents are making us move to Australia, meaning that I will lose all my friends and contact with my extended family. I know that a lot of New Zealanders live in Australia and they're really close by and all, but I still find it so upsetting. I couldn't stand even moving house, let alone moving to an entire different island. Yeah... I just wanted to talk about it. Any Australians or New Zealanders here? Or people who have moved to another country before?

2. soner

Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh trust me I feel you I had to move from boston to brazil it was A BIG CHANGE for me but you will be okay my advice to you is don't be all mad about it and don't complain that you wanna go back all the time cause the more you think about it the more time passes by SLOWLY the culture will be different try to adapt to it it takes a while but you will get used to it by talking to people on a daily bases your lucky you don't have to learn another language I had to go threw the pain of learning Portuguese XD everything will be fine and besides you can still talk to your friends on skype or something you can visit not all will be lost just look at the bright side you will be going to a new country! discovering new things new people a whole different culture! it might suck at first but just try and look at the positive side of things everything will be fine I hope you can adapt to the culture quickly!

Good luck! <3

3. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi. I know what you mean. I moved from South Africa to Korea - now that is huge. I have been here over 6 years. I unfortunately haven't had the chance to visit home :frowning2:
    I have learnt some Korean but nothing extravagant. I met some friends here but they have all returned to their countries.
    I think you will be OK. You can visit NZ anytime, it's so close. You can discover new things and meet some new people. And Skype with family and friends back in NZ.
    Take care and good luck.

4. flitterpad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my God, sorry this post was from so long ago but I've been so busy and then I forgot to reply. Thank you guys for your advice! I just really needed to vent out because my parents were sick of me complaining about moving. You guys make me feel lucky that I was only moving to Australia and not a really far away country.
    Australia's okay anyway. There are actually quite a few things that I prefer about it to NZ- but NZ is still my favourite of course. I have kept in contact with all my friends, which is great because I didn't think I'd be able to keep that up.
    Anyway, no one has to feel obliged to respond to this, but I thought I should just let you guys know how I'm doing (if you see this).

5. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good for you. :slight_smile:. Moving is hard but that's life for you. I had to move to US from India with my family for dad's work back in 1994. Come 2000 I moved back to India. So it was sad on both counts, but that's how life is.

I made great friends everywhere and that helped a lot. Try to find happiness in little things first, then being happy for the big things will be second nature soon enough. :wink: