1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I ready to be totally out?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AJ56, Mar 25, 2016.

1. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Am I ready for a relationship?

Right now, I have strong feelings for my friend. Although there is a chance for a relationship because he is bi, I am not sure if I'm even ready for one. I say this because if I had a boyfriend, I honestly would not feel comfortable holding his hand or kissing/hugging him in public. Does this make a bad person? I feel like it would be unfair to him. Still, another part of me says that my sexuality is really no one else's business except for my loved ones.

I really don't know. I'm honestly conflicted. What do you think? Is it possible to be in a relationship and only be partially out? I just don't think I'm ready to be out to everyone. Plus, I'm probably not in the best place to be publicly out either.

#1 AJ56, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being out and having a relationship are two distinct issues. They might overlap, but one does not necessarily impact what you do regarding the other. As such, not user you need to let the fact that you not out drive your decision to seek a relationship with your friend. Your friend might be out, but that does not mean you need to be. Would he be concerned? Maybe, but until you have a discussion with him, you will never know. Chances are, if he has feelings for you as well, he will be open minded about your out status.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's entirely possible to have a relationship and not show any outward signs of it. There are times and places when I'm totally comfortable holding my bf's hand in public, but there are also times and places when I'm not, and it's totally fine. And there are couples who aren't big on PDA in general, gay or straight. It's up to you how you handle that, but how much you outwardly demonstrate your affection in public is not what makes a relationship.