1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting a guy in a rural area

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Trailblazer, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Trailblazer

Alright so I'm 25, small town Ontario. Where the hell do I meet people lol. I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I mean any dating sites for this area are empty, and I'm not comfortable using apps considering I know what 99.9% of the guys on there are looking for.

Never been into hooking up and just out of a 2 year relationship that was my first and looking at me or talking to me you would never guess I'm gay, which I assume only makes it more difficult, especially considering I'm looking for someone relatively the same. It would be nice to meet a good guy and have something meaningful for a while.

I'm out to a couple friends but they don't know any other gay people for the most and I'm not looking to make a move to the city, I already have a pretty decent job here and really prefer rural life anyway.

I've checked online for groups into the same hobbies (outdoors, atv, camping related stuff) and there isn't really much of that either.

Feeling at a loss about this, I mean there HAS to be at least one guy I click with that doesn't live 100+ km away.. Right?

Anyone else in a similar boat or been there? I'm just getting tired of being alone, my last relationship was far from ideal and it would be nice to know what it's like to love someone and have it returned back genuinely. And it took 5 years of looking just to find what I had lol.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes it is necessary to travel, or move to find love. I live in a predominantly rural county in England and even though it's a smaller country than Canada, I found it necessary to travel to other parts of England, at least a little bit when I was dating. Are you totally opposed the idea of travelling or moving in future, or is there some reason why it's difficult for you now?

3. Trailblazer

Nah for the right person if I knew it would work out I would have no issues moving across the country or even out of. My ties to this area aren't too strong. I have an okay paying job but it's not something of significance and my company does have places all over for transfers so I mean even that could be an easy fix.

4. hubcap

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's really difficult...I feel your pain buddy(*hug*). I'm in almost exactly the same position.

5. Trailblazer

Good to know I'm not alone in this, there must be dozens of us! Lol

6. hubcap

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You are probably right. It's just so difficult to tell if another guy is interested without asking him. I'm sure you will find someone. I wish you all the best!

7. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As someone who lives in a small town in Northern Ontario I can safely say that I know exactly how you feel! :frowning2:

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As others have indicated it can be tough and can feel as if one is isolated. If you are willing to travel or take some chances in a larger city that might be something to explore. I don't know where you live in Ontario but if you don't live too far from a major centre it might be worthwhile to trying to spend some time there.

Online dating might be something to explore. It's possible that you will find someone with whom you could connect even just as a friend, who might live a couple or few towns down the road.

9. Trailblazer

I'm pretty central to both major cities here so sure that's a possibility. I've never actually been to a gay bar, since I don't even enjoy going to straight bars lol. I've checked online sites quite a bit and made a couple friends, but it's scarce still really. My ex was even a 2 hour drive away, so distance isn't a killer at all.