1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internalised Homophpiba and Gay Shame caused by policy debates

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by OnTheHighway, Mar 30, 2016.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now on my fourth year after coming out to myself, and where I thought I have previously worked through dealing with typical issues of internalised homophobia and gay shame, I seem to find myself relapsing a bit.

As I am watching the "religious freedom" debates in the United States, and see various legislatures work through iterations of such laws however they are defined (NC recently passed clear anti gay laws whereas the Georgia governor had the courage to veteo similar laws), my emotions have been kicking in and the feelings of shame and internalised homophoiba have reappeared.

I am a bit frustrated that these feelings have come back. I guess it probably should had been expected, especially in the face of the continued push against equal rights by those intolerant of others.

Maybe, what I need to do is continue to support, where I can as an individual, organisations and activists that seek to mitigate these initiatives. In the meantime, I guess the fight goes on.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The "religious freedom" debate is... not much of a debate. It's anti-gay activists who want to veil their blatant attack on equality with something that sounds like American ideals. They are certainly a distinct minority, and anyone who believes in real religious freedom knows they crossed the line of good intentions and haven't looked back for miles.

My (lesbian) half-sister lives in Georgia, so as surely countless others are, I'm glad that the measure did not pass.

---------- Post added 31st Mar 2016 at 02:00 AM ----------

The "religious freedom" debate is... not much of a debate. It's anti-gay activists who want to veil their blatant attack on equality with something that sounds like American ideals. They are certainly a distinct minority, and anyone who believes in real religious freedom knows they crossed the line of good intentions and haven't looked back for miles.

My (lesbian) half-sister lives in Georgia, so as surely countless others are, I'm glad that the measure there did not pass.

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's just hope Pam Bondi and Rick Scott don't decide to try their hand at something equally ridiculous. Based on their track records, anything is possible (coming from a former Florida native myself).

4. smurf

They already tried and failed. We have a strong coalition here in Florida for the most part.

Yes, surround yourself with people who will support you and vent with you. They want us to feel attacked, isolated, and vulnerable. Don't let them win. (*hug*)