1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any people that believe in God here, and if so, what do you think?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by suchconfusion, Apr 1, 2016.

1. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know lots of LGBTQ+ people aren't religious, and understandably so, but for those that believe in God, what do you think about homosexuality? Personally, I like those bible arguments about why being gay isn't a sin, like the contradictions and other things. I can't say I'm very religious, but I'm in both in a vulnerable position and a religious household right now, so I'm thinking about God a lot. My mom thinks its a sin, but she's a stubborn old-style hardcore Christian. Not so enjoyable when she found out, as you can imagine. But needless to say, I do want to see what other people think about their own sexuality in regards to their own religion, and any conflicts they have with it or how they deal with it/take it as.

#1 suchconfusion, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up in a very religious household, and I'm religious still today. It took a while for me to accept that I have an attraction to persons of the same sex. When I came out to my mom, she said some hurtful things, which I'll never forget. My family is very homophobic and it's going to take time for them to accept the "gay side" of me. Of course my main attraction is to opposite-sex individuals, but there's still that attraction to same-sex people, so I call myself bisexual.

My mom also drilled into my head that homosexuality is a sin, and she specifically stated that my girlfriend (whom I've dated 4 years ago) is not welcome. That was part of, but not the main reason, why I broke up with her. I crave my parents' approval in everything I do, and I can't stand it if they're not happy with my life choices.

I've explained to my mom that homosexuality is NOT a choice, and that ended that conversation, so I believe she either chose not to argue, or she finally grasped what it's all about. (I'm going with the former)... Well, it's still not easy for me but I've reached a point in my life where I know nothing I do or pray about will change who I am... And to be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way :grin:

3. raspberry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, gay Anglican checking in. I don't think God is homophobic, and I believe in equal marriage for all. Hang in there, OP. Some people are :***: but things can and will get better :slight_smile:

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe in God but not religion.

5. afgirl

I definitely believe in God, and truth be told, I really feel like my current relationship is literally an answer to my prayers. That being said, how can I not believe in God? I have walked away from the church over the past year, more out of disgust with the hypocrisy that exists. The Bible does not have that much to say about homosexuality, and what it does say is arguable as to what it really is about (consenting act, rape, for example).

I know God loves me, and I live by faith. This may not be popular, but probably is a whole lot more common than you might imagine. There are churches who fully accept LGBT people, and there are gay churches, as well.

6. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The bottom line is you can't argue religion with someone. Don't even try. You only need to come to terms with it for yourself. I look at it this way.

Does Jesus love me? Yes he does.
    Do I love Jesus? Yes I do.

And that's good enough for me. People tend to over analyze things. Do I have all the answers? Absolutely not. But the bottom line is God is not going to abandon us...as long as you don't abandon him.

7. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think this video sums up the contradictions of the Bible really well, and it's actually what first helped me get past that fear.
    [YOUTUBE]ezQjNJUSraY[/YOUTUBE]

But what I believe that really helps me other than that is this:

Sins are things that harm others or yourself. Lust, greed, adultery, deceit; those are all things that harm others or yourself. A person, regardless of their sexual orientation, is equally capable of doing those same things. At its core, homosexuality is not sinful. It does not harm anyone except for those who choose to take offense to it. Cheating on a partner, lying, those are all sins but a straight person can do those same things too and those would be sins.

Also, God is love, God loves love. As long as you are not harming anyone, why would God want to deny you the right to love who you love. Why is it a sin to love who you love. If you happen to love or be attracted to someone of the same sex and your attraction is pure and unsinful, then is your only sin your gender? It doesn't really make sense when you think about it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, this is just my take on things. I still struggle when I hear homophobic talk, especially as I'm trying to figure out what religion I believe in. But this helps me, thinking about it in a common sense sort of way.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. GeneralLeia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I firmly believe in God and religion, but I think it's different because I'm Jewish. (Reform, at that.) For those that don't know, Reform Judaism is very accepting of LGBT+ people, so there's never really been a conflict of interest for me. Ironically, my parents are the ones who pressure me to be less religious, rather than more. Funny how it works out, right?

10. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    If I think in Christian terms for a second, then I might say this. I don't actively believe in any god, nor disbelieve. But if I did believe in the God of the Bible, then I would hold onto the principle of love conquers all - in fact, I still do! If I knew that God existed for sure, but that God was a homophobe or transphobe, or bigoted in any way, then He wouldn't be my God.

From a general religious-philosophical perspective, I follow Taoism most closely. Taoism is about following the natural flow of the world. This flow runs through us all, and one shouldn't try to block it out by censoring one's love.

11. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I love you guys and thanks for sharing :grin: I originally walked away from religion because I couldn't understand how there could be such hatred directed towards LGBT+ people when we clearly can't chose. I've gone back now but it's all I really think about since my mom's found out I'm not straight. She told me that it's a sin, and she'll ultimately always love me, but I'll have to pay the consequences for any actions I may take. It sucks, but it could be worst. I just feel so sad she thinks I'm going to hell and sometimes I wonder if she's right, esp since I've become religious again. It's not like we have concrete answers. But the contradictions of the things people say versus when one actually analyses the Bible, like that video above, make me and a shit ton of other people feel way better. Ultimately, for religions around the Bible, it's open for interpretation and the vast majority think a certain way that doesn't necessarily have to be true. Anyway, I'm sure God loves a gay person that's done nothing but good over a straight Christian that hates.

12. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe in god but not in the usual Christian way. I don't think God is any gender, or maybe a mixture of all genders. Or no gender. But I'm not too sure on the bible, I think maybe it has some truth in it but I don't think anyone will ever know. But no, I don't think god opposes homosexuality, I think he must love and listen to everyone because otherwise that would conflict with the entire meaning of who I think God is and what he stands for. The hatred from some parts of the religious communities really discourages people form having Faith and all that but without all the hate and bigotry then hopefully people would realise that religion isn't as against homosexuality as people think it is today, it's just the bigots that try to make it seem that way.

13. Conan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am a Catholic christian, and my parents are religious, and they think it's wrong to be gay (the reason why i'm still not out), and I do believe in god, I also pray a lot.
    I know I'm gay, but still can't accept myself, even though I read many things that makes me feel comfortable that being gay is okay.
    God, doesn't hate anyone, god loves us so very very much, and if he didn't want us to be like that he wouldn't have created us this way. and when Jesus died he saved us from all sins.

an important thing to remember:
    being gay is not the only sin in life (if it is a sin at all), because we're normal people, the only difference between us and straight people is the sexual attraction. killing in my opinion is worst, stealing too, raping too, cheating too, hating and having hatred towards someone else and wish them to die is worst too. (by worst I mean like really worst)
    like imagine a gay guy who haven't killed anyone, and a criminal who killed a person, why would god forgive the killer that ended someone's life (god gave us lives as a gift, if u kill yourself you refused that gift), and not forgive you, remember god is also justice not only merciful and loving !

yet I still hate being gay and can't accept myself :/

#13 Conan, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  14. plant

I do believe in God, however I feel as if it's more of a Pascal's Wager type of thing, and less of an actual belief. I wouldn't consider myself a "typical" Christian, and I align a little bit more with Quaker ish beliefs. I personally don't like practicing religion with an organized church because it can do more harm than good, and churches tend to be extremely hypocritical.

15. Noneya

Noneya Guest

When I realized that I was gay and started hating myself and hating God I did a lot of research and finally found a website that really helped me.
    Would Jesus Discriminate? - Jesus said some are born gay
    Whether it can be believed or not it makes feel better when I have doubts, you should check it out, I hope it helps you too.

16. Plattyrex

I wrote a huge wall of text and accidentally deleted it. I suck. I'll briefly summarize I guess, cause I am not typing that whole thing again. I used to believe in God, but than a bunch of bad stuff happened and turned me all whiny and self loathing, and now I kinda do but I don't really know. I think that the gay thing doesn't really matter, because I know that I like boys and if there is a god that is jst how he made me.

17. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm agnostic but I think if there is a deity then it is either the same power as Gaia/Mother Nature or a Goddess we've forgotten.

18. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm an agnostic Hindu, homosexuality isn't a sin in hinduism. Rather the basic Hindu philosophy of salvation states that one should overcome ones earthly and human needs by experiencing them fully and then transcend them to be one with God. By which homosexuals can never attain salvation if homosexuality was not allowed, so there isn't a ban on it even though it's not seen in good light by the Hindu society. And hinduism acknowledges that one's sexual orientation and gender is innate. So yes homosexuality hasn't created much problem with respect to religion or faith in my life. What created a problem is the form of Hinduism practiced by the present day society which is highly influenced by Abrahamic laws of moral standards, it has lost a large part of its liberal nature. So it just made me revert to the olden time's version of Hinduism which is currently less popular.

19. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Marriage is a tradition from pagans, and they allowed same sex marriage. Why should a completely different religion take that and twist it into something else?
    That's why I hate religion, I don't mean to be rude but, in truth, it has divided the world.

20. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe in God and I also take the Bible seriously, but, I don't take the Bible literally or elevate it to a false position. It was never intended for scripture to be taken literally only and we certainly haven't always approached it in that way. In actual fact, Jesus was very critical towards the Pharisees for their strict adherence to the letter of the law and we would do well to remember that. Whilst the Bible is an important witness to the relationship between God and mankind, it is not the ultimate revelation of God.

Out of the sixty six books that make up the Bible, same-sex sexual activity is mentioned in only a small number of passages in five of those books. Clearly, this was not a topic of great concern to the biblical writers, but you wouldn't know it from the hyperbole spewed forth by some conservatives and fundamentalists. If the contentious passages are read carefully and not taken in isolation or out of context they are far less troubling actually.

Happy to provide more detail if you would like to send me a private message.