1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling with losing my job again

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sinopaa, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my former employer of 7 years informed me that I would no longer be a full-time employee. Due to state budget cuts my hours were cut from 40 a week down to 15. They have a policy that you can't work a 2nd job while employed there, so I decided to look for another job. I was forced to come out at that job and well, in the 3 years since then things went downhill. Well I found another job that pitched me this really positive message and was all "trans inclusive". Once the snake oil was sold and I quit to join them I was then worked 8 days straight ungodly hours with the worst clients possible until I went to management and asked for a one day break. They were very hostile about my request, which led to one of my co-workers calling in and going off on how they were treating me.

I never asked him to do, but since then I've received no hours for the last month and a half. I get the feeling I was hired as the token minority. I'm living off of what's left of my savings account, but so far no one is willing to hire me for any work. My field (DSP for special needs) is all but dead, so I'm trying to fall back on my college degree. But of course no one will hire me because I have no experience in the business world and I'm too "over-qualified" for most of the local minimum wage places. I could get my college documents changed to reflect my new name and gender, but my High School refuses to budge on the issue so I have to disclose my dead name. I know this has to be affecting people wanting to hire me.

I'm finding it's harder and harder to get out of bed and just function. The letters and phone calls declining my application for being even a simple stocking person or dish washer is crushing my will to even try anymore. The only positive I have is that I'm almost out of debt and still live with my parents, so my expenses are really low. Outside of that I just lay in bed most of the day now dreading my next rejection call. I had plans of moving out of the area in August to a major city with a friend, but with no income that dream is starting to look more and more distant. My social life has dwindled to nothing and I'm left guessing where I went wrong. :icon_sad:

#1 Sinopaa, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Sinopaa,

It can be hard to find a job as a transgender person. There are a few things that I found that may be able to help you in this frustrating process. This website has a lot of resources that may be able to help you. There is also this article that has some tips on how to best handle situations that can sometimes arise during an interview.

Does your college have a career services division? At the college that I go to, you can get advice from them even after you have graduated college. So, it may be good to have them take a look at your cover letter and resume. They may also be able to give you some leads on positions at companies that are transgender friendly.

Also, If there are transgender groups in your area, I would try to tap into those. I know that in the Cleveland area, the MetroHealth Pride clinic has a transgender job search fair where there are all sorts of companies that are open to hiring transgender people. So, checking in with a transgender group or a LGBT group in your area may give you some leads as well.

Finally, remember to take time to take care of yourself as well. This can be a frustrating process. Try to do something that you enjoy and get your mind off of things for a bit if you begin to feel overwhelmed with the idea of looking for employment.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I work as a recruiter and recently went through a career change myself. While I don't have any trans-specific suggestions, I'd be happy to give you some general job search/interview tips if you like. Feel free to PM me or post on my wall. I'm happy to help!