1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I feel guilty when I get attracted to other girls?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Nebulae, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Nebulae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel bad because I never felt this way for a man even though feel like I am supposed to. I really hate it...

2. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't worry, I'm sure many other lesbians feel the same as you. There's nothing wrong with not liking men, that's just who you are. Don't feel bad about it, that will bring you down. I wish you good luck! c:

3. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I fought this really young feeling guilty being curious or feelings etc with the same sex. I think my hang up was what society and culture around me felt that made me feel something was bad about me. A little confused by the question and answer. The basic info by your question shows you identify as lesbian and have guilt for same sex attraction but have an attraction for the opposite sex with some guilt as well. Please correct me if wrong. Don't feel guilty of you and what you think and feel for yourself.

4. JasmineTea

From a young age, it's drilled into us that men and women are supposed to be together. It's drilled into us that being gay is bad. It's the society we all live in, no matter where in the world we live, even if some places are more tolerant than others.

All of us internalize things. Even if we know logically that it isn't true that being gay is bad, emotionally and personally it can often be different, and that's the struggle that a lot of LGBTQ+ people can gone and are going through.

It's really difficult to get through, but it's all about trying to change that internalized mindset... which is no easy task. My two biggest pieces of advice would be to focus on yourself, and then on your environment. What I mean by that is that, firstly, every time you feel guilty for liking a girl, think to yourself, "no, that's not true. There's nothing wrong with being gay. Being gay is awesome, and I'm awesome." It sounds silly, and it will feel that way at first, but it really does help after a while. Fake it 'til ya make it. Secondly, try to find environments where being gay is completely celebrated. This website is a good start. I personally am a part of my school's pride club, which is filled with a huge amount of positivity and queer people.

Good luck.<3 The journey to self acceptance and love is not an easy one, but you can do it. I believe in you.

5. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's how I used to feel! I would destroy myself inside because of my feelings, then when I saw her at school I would try to convince myself it was just my imagination, that she was actually really ugly. (She wasn't, and doing that didn't work. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

Just be yourself! There is nothing wrong with liking girls if you're a girl, or guys if you're a guy. There's nothing wrong with liking both. It's all perfectly normal, and society will change. In fact, right now it's changing. So just love yourself!

6. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's normal to feel this way. I think a lot of people feel this when they start to realize their attractions to the same sex. I know I felt this way. The world around us teaches us that loving the opposite sex is what's normal and right, so of course some of us will feel uncomfortable or guilty when we realize we are not like this. The thing is, society is wrong about this. It is normal to have these feelings. You are definitely not alone, and you are hurting no one by liking girls. I think getting over the guilt just takes time and learning to accept yourself.

7. Gay1234

There is nothing wrong with your feelings. Remember you are who you are and nobody else can tell you otherwise.

8. sunshine360

sunshine360 Guest

The guilt is pretty normal to feel. As JasmineTea said, we are indoctrinated from an early age by society that we are supposed to like guys and that liking girls is "wrong" or "strange." Sometimes, the indoctrination comes from our own family. The guilt is very irrational because we can't control who we like, but it's still there because our subconcious doesn't believe it.

#8 sunshine360, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2016