1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waiting for a special guy to figure out his sexuality

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Cory675, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,

So I met a guy about a month ago. We met online, and when we were chatting, he told me that he hadn't actually come out yet, but he reassured me, telling me he was sure he liked guys and that he wasn't at all ashamed of who he was. He was planning on telling people when there would be someone in his life to tell about. When we met for the first time in person, I really felt a connection with him. I was also diligent enough to ask a few more questions to make sure he really knew he liked guys (but was bisexual), and his response reassured me. He also told me that he wasn't afraid of commitment.

I felt a connection like I had never felt before on a first date... and I also knew, from the very first time I met him, that if it didn't work out, it would hurt really bad.

We continued texting alot, every day. And after the second date, he admitted to me that he was beginning to feel attatched.

The 4th date, he was supposed to stay the night. Normally, I would find this way too fast, but I really felt close to him, and we had sex. He was the one who initiated it.
    After a few minutes, he completely imploded and started having doubts about his sexuality etc, all while recognizing that his doubts were irrational because he knew he desired me, had feelings for me, and saw that it could work out with me...but nonetheless, his doubts were tearing him up inside... and with that, the relationship essentially ended, or was put on pause at least until he could figure things out.

Needless to say, I was completely crushed. I had never felt so crushed about any guy I've dated before. I was so hurt... and felt like my trust was so betrayed.

But I've decided that I would ride the wave, give him time and space to figure things out. He himself admitted to me that his doubts were irrational and has at times expressed regret for how things ended... and he still continues to text me every day, so he clearly isn't ready to end things for real.

Has anyone ever waited for someone else to figure out their sexuality and had it work out?
    I truly believe this guy is worth it, and am really willing to wait for him. Any advice on what to do to make it work out?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The one thing I would caution is that you may not be the person to help him work things out. Being understanding and sensitive to his situation is a good start, but since you two have already crossed the line into relationship (to use your word) territory, it might be best for him to seek help/support elsewhere - maybe a counselor, or a trusted friend/family member? If you're still in touch with him, then I would suggest pointing him in these directions.

If you're not still in touch with him, then it really is just a matter of how long you're willing to wait for him. If you're still comfortable and happy doing so, then great. If you're not, and starting to feel lonely/rejected, etc., then it might be better to try to move on. "Perfect" should include "willing and able to reciprocate your feelings," and if he can't, then it might just not be the right time.

3. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's actually what I told him right away. I told him that I would be there and listen, but that I couldn't be the one to guide him, because I am too attached and therefore incapable of being neutral. The thing is that he doesn't have anyone else to talk to about this. I told him that he shoud talk to someone else about this. He didn't seem very warm to the idea but he admitted he should.

We are still in contact. He texts me every day.

He was very into me, admitted he got attached and felt very close to me, and he really desired me. Since all this happened, I'm not really sure how he feels about me from one day to the next, but I want to avoid harrassing him all the time to see where he's at emotionally. The last thing I wan't to comme accross as, is needy. I wan't to give him time and space to figure things out...

4. Seagypsy

Aww bless you, I know just how you feel. I'm in a similar position with a bi guy (although I'm a girl).

He's just pressed the "pause" button as well, but we are crazy about each other and I don't care how many issues he has, I will take them all on board for him and I just want him to see that. I totally understand how you feel and it's a nerve wracking place to be at. Hugs (*hug*)

5. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. Thank you for your kind words. You hit the hammer on the nail. I'm crazy about him, and it is nerve wracking.
    He keeps texting me all the time, and he wants to see me on Saturday. I'm not sure what it's going to be like, whether it will be romantic or purely platonic, but I guess I will find out then. I'm really hoping that it will be romantic, but I know it may not be likely this fast.

I'm not sure what to do to help him or make things work out, other than be patient...

I really hope things work out for you too!

6. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey...

So it's finished for real. He came to see me Saturday night because he wanted to finish things in the most honourable way possible.
    He doesn't feel that he could be with a guy long-term. He thinks he couln't have a lasting sexual desire for a guy. He essentially explained to me that he lied to himself so much that he sincerely believed what he had told me before: that he was into guys, that he wasn't affraid of committement, and that he was becoming attatched to me. He explained to me that he was essentially just looking for attention and affection, being that he doesn't get that from his friends...

Needless to say, it hurts really really bad.

7. Seagypsy

Oh no :frowning2:

I'm so sorry to hear that!

Sometimes people like that will make a comeback of some kind though, it's possible he will get back in contact with you, even if just as a friend.

The guy I like is very complex too, but today we had the most amazing day and managed to talk through a number of important issues which have been hanging over us lately, I just hope tomorrow will be just as good! And for you too, I hope and pray you will have some kind of peace, whether the relationship is finished or not, I pray you can learn and grow from this experience. xx

8. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    im sorry to hear :frowning2:

To me it sounds like he's still not sure and hasent figured it all out yet. Youre right to give him some time. either he'll come around, or he'll want to end it. Dont get your hopes up too much though. I always tend to not get super hiped up or something, because it would be even harder to deal with, if it would turn out not to go well
    good luck :slight_smile: