1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I talk to my coach?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by thewizard, Apr 9, 2016.

1. thewizard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My so called "friends" don't miss an oppurtunity to remind me how I'm not equal to them because I'm black. They're generally joke about my race, but the things they say to me are personal attacks. (Sorry for the bad writing, I'm really pissed). Anyway, they call me "nigger" and then they'll not own up to it and start laughing like they invented the word. I want to punch them so much, but I don't want it to go onto my record and I don't want to become the "rapist, thief and murderer" they think black people are. It pisses me off as well because they expect me to lower my IQ and dress a certain way just because I'm black. On another subject, when someone doesn't dress the way they like or do something in a specific way, they call that person a "fag or "faggot." I get called that very often. It's like to them they don't live in the twenty first century and they believe men are stronger than women, the white is the best race etc. I've tried telling them how idiotic and insensitive they are, but they just laugh and say I'm on my period. My mom thinks I should tell my coach, but if I do this they'll know I was the one who rated them out because I'm the only black kid on the team. I just don't know what to do at this point.

Sorry I forgot to mention all these people are on the track and cross country team with me, so that's why I would talk to my coach.

2. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    First of all, these people sound disgusting and I'm so sorry you have to put up with that crap. I'm not sure what I would do if I were in your situation, but I think I'm gonna have to suggest telling your coach about it. They deserve some sort of consequences.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should talk to the coach (or maybe a school counselor first) because this is a really serious issue and to make sure no other black kids feel unwelcome in the future. For sports teams in particular, racial/homophobic slurs are only going to create low morale and distrust.

4. thewizard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you both for your responses. I realize now that I have to take the bullet to ensure a better future of diversity at my school and talk to my coach even though I'll be put on the outside by my teammates.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These people are not friends. And this isn't even in the realm of subtle racism; it's blatant and utterly unacceptable. (and, sadly, probably comes from the parents of the kids in question.)

If you get any sort of pushback from your coach, or anything other than complete support and understanding of how serious this issue is, I'd go to the principal, and/or ask your mom for help with this. This isn't the 1940s, and that sort of blatant discrimination and racism has no place anywhere in the US.

6. thewizard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going to talk to my coach on Monday when I go back to school. I'll let you all know how it goes.

7. thewizard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I ended up talking to the dean of students at my school instead of my coach. I just didn't trust that my coach would do the right thing. Anyway, I ended up putting the blame on the main antagonist instead of the whole team which ended up to be a good choice. Multiple people on my team have told me they're behind me and have apologized for their own actions.

8. eMei

Well done for standing up for yourself. Racism is never okay and you've done the right thing by speaking. :thumbsup: