1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No one should have to feel this, let alone a 15 year old.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Najlen, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Najlen

I guess this post is more to vent than anything, though I could use some advice. I have two friends, we'll call them David and Courtney. David and Courtney have been dating for almost a year now, and they are clearly deeply in love. David especially, I don't think it's possible for anyone to love anyone more than he loves Courtney. The problem is, Courtney is suicidal. She has been on and off for at least a year, though my guess is that it's been going on a lot longer than that. She's been getting worse lately, a lot worse. David is reflecting her mood, and I can see how scared he is, so I think she's worse than she's ever been right now. All three of us do a lot of acting, and in the play we're currently doing, Courtney has a death scene. David and I are off on one side of the stage during it, sitting down and watching. Today, I looked over at him partway through the scene and saw that his eyes were screwed shut and he was shaking like he was going to start crying. So I asked what was wrong. What he said was the saddest, most painful thing I've ever heard. "I know it's silly, but I can't look." It took me a second to realize that he meant he couldn't look at Courtney lying onstage pretending to be dead. I didn't know what to do, I mean, how do you respond to something like that? So I hugged him, and told him that it wasn't silly, which on reflection may have been exactly the wrong thing to say. But I didn't know what to do. With Courtney, it's a little easier. I know at least the generality of what's going through her head because I know what it's like to want to die. But I've never been in David's position, where I have to try and make sense of the why part as well as the fact that someone I love wants to kill themselves. How do I help him? How do I help her? I'm bad at communication and being around people in general, but they're my best friends and I can't just do nothing.

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

You just need to be there for both of them. Let them know that if they have a problem, you'll listen to them and are there to help.
    You don't need to be too good at communicating to listen, from my experience. :slight_smile: