1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to handle stress?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by JasmineTea, Apr 15, 2016.

1. JasmineTea

April has proven to be a really busy, really difficult month for me. Between school, mourning, and the planning of a friend's baby shower, I've been kind of all over the place. Anyone have any advice on how to deal with it?

2. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have honestly been very stressed myself lately and what I suggest is to listen to music that is positive or even sounds upbeat and to get good sleep. Also when I take a shower I feel really good afterward.
    The only other thing I can think of is just doing what you find fun whether it is reading, swimming, etc.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Consider your situation and ask yourself what you're stressed out about — not the stressors, as you listed, but the reasons behind it. Why exactly is schoolwork causing you stress? Are you worried that your grades will fall? Is there too much homework you need to do? Stuff like that.

If your teachers are overworking you, for example, take a moment to make a list of everything you need to do. Write it out if you have to. See which assignments are due first. If multiple are due on the same day, choose the one that is more important to complete, and do that one. Then, when you're done with that, go on to the next task. And the next. And the next. Sooner or later you'll get through with all of it. The concept also applies to the baby shower.

Essentially, prioritize everything you need to do. Pick the first on the list and do it. But it's important that you tell yourself to not think about everything you have to do at once, or it may become too overwhelming.

Remember that it's definitely okay to skip some assignments if they are unnecessary (such as extra credit) or if you can afford to skip them (such as a small homework grade). And if you don't finish in time, it's okay too. And you can definitely split the work up into multiple days if possible — you don't have to write an entire essay in one sitting. Take breaks. Treat yourself. Congratulate yourself for working so hard.

If you take things one at a time, slow and easy, it'll be 100% okay. Really.

There's not much you can do about the stress from a loss, though. Everybody copes with that differently, and it's so personalized only you really know how to do it. Just remember that things do take time — both mourning and mundane tasks like schoolwork — but once you get through it everything will be all right.

Good luck. I hope it gets better soon.