1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQ and in recovery (drugs and alcohol)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by 25andconfused, Apr 18, 2016.

1. 25andconfused

Out Status:
    Some people
    i am not 100% sure how many people will reply to this but i am a 25 year old recovering drug addict and i have been for almost 8 years basically i'm posting it to see if there are anyone on here who are in the same boat as i am another reason is to see what you guys do about dating i've never been to a bar let alone a gay bar is there any other way besides online dating out there or any suggestions on what i should do?

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have never had a substance abuse problem but I do know that here are people with problems at least with alcohol and probably with narcotics as well. I'm sure you will find support.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome, and first, congratulations on taking the steps to better yourself and working toward recovery.

There are a *lot* of people in your circumstance, because substance abuse and addiction among the LGBT community is substantially higher than among equivalent straight groups, in part because of the baggage we carry from negative messages in society and so forth. You're far from alone.

There are, in larger metro areas, sober social groups for LGBT people, and in some areas, 12 step meetings/communities specifically for LGBT people. If getting to an area like that is an option, that would be a great place to start.

Second to that, there are often LGBT-oriented Meetup groups in many areas (again, more in metro areas than in more suburban or rural areas.) In some areas, you'll find meetups with gay hiking clubs, board game nights, pool parties, pot lucks, book clubs, hiking clubs, and sober gay dance nights, among other activities. Also, if your area has a LGBT center, they usually have social events and other activities to help other people meet.

Depending on where you are in your recovery, one of your biggest challenges may be choosing the friends and groups you hang out with wisely. I generally suggest the AA or 12-step sponsored activities for people who are early in recovery because there's more built-in safety and less risk of being exposed to behaviors and activities that put you at risk. As you get further along in your recovery, going to LGBT events with a friend who will help support your sobriety is a good plan. (And you'll be surprised... a lot of straight people will happily join you to support your sobriety.)

I work with these populations (both those in recovery and LGBT populations) so I know the challenges that are there, and the good news is, as your commitment to yourself and your health grows stronger, your ability to attract healthy people and cultivate healthy friendships and relationships among LGBT people will also grow.

While I'm lucky enough to not have had those sorts of issues myself, there are a lot of people here at EC who are in recovery and I think you'll find this a great community to help support you as you move forward with your journey.

4. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Congrats! Im reallt happy for you!

I personally havent had an addiction. My dad is an alcoholic, and my boyfriend does alot of weed, so I kinda have some experience with addicts. My dad has it really bad and its never nice to have something like that around your life.

Lots of luck for the future!
    hugs :slight_smile:

5. 25andconfused

Out Status:
    Some people
    thank you for the message its nice to hear this coming from fellow professional and you were very helpful i live 45 minutes outside of NYC but i have like O ties to the community and the ties that i have are not very recovery friendly i think im going to have to look at meet ups again thank you yet again :thumbsup:

6. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey guys. I'm scorpiontx91. I'm a 24 year old bi Latin guy. And I'm a grateful recovering alcoholic. By the grace of god, I haven't had a drink since April 13, 2016(approx 18 days now sober).

I've had some ups and downs the past few years of my life. I've experimented with alcohol for about 5 1/2 years. I've been drinking more or less through all my college life since 2010. I've had points in my life that I've been sober granted I'll say. I made good attempts starting in Feb '14 when I was in AA in my college where I was getting my undergrad, I was just making attempts to "stay sober and graduate" basically. And I really didn't get my feet wet and complete all the 12 steps. I did 7 steps pretty fast and slightly half asssed stuff. I just picked a sponsor that I could relate to and was near my age: this pretty boy/preppy White boy that had 2 years clean and was going to the same AA group as I did. He was chill but we were close somewhat.

Anyway, I graduate and leave that area and I go back to my hometown. I get accepted into grad school on a late application submission. So I get to go to college again. So I'm in my hometown(San Antonio) and I'm getting my admission stuff for grad school on my emails. I get some email about this "recovery center" and it caught my attention.

So I slowly reach out to this guy that's sending these emails out.

He reached out to my via phone call and we talk. The guy was a fellow guy in recovery with about a decade clean time and he's in his early 30s. He's the directory of the emerging recovery center at the college. And he seemed energetic(and he's really like this in real life) about recovery and everything. So we talk and he invites me out to some speaker thing in Austin in a few weeks. I go there and we check it out. It cool. I met some UT people in recovery and other Austin people. And everything was cool.

So a few weeks later, I settle into my new college. I live on campus and I feel like "it's a new chapter." It felt like that. I met Clayton's sponsee Travis and he lives in the same appartment complex oncampus as me. We connect and slowly form a friendship. I mean, I felt happy. I had this recovery community, I was planting the seed and I was connecting with younger people in recovery and maybe being this "mentor." I just felt at the time, like I was going to be this graduate student guy just sitting in the armchair and just being a mentor to these freshman guys that are just starting out. I felt like I did my "thing" in undergrad of getting fucked up, I'm "retired" and I'm enjoying being sober.

Well....staying "retired" didn't last forever as I found out.

I just was going in different directions all throughout this entire period. I was putting myself in the college recovery program at my college, I was getting myself into Young AA in San Antonio(which I would enjoy at first, then slowly start to find as "corny/cheesy/high school shit" gradually and gradually. The Young AA stuff was getting to me slowly and slowly, I felt like it was some cliquish high school shit that I was getting tired of. I'm not blaming these guys for what was going to happen to me, but I just felt like I didn't belong there despite being 'young' AA. "Young AA" didn't really feel "Young AA" rather just a bunch of late 20s-mid 40 guys and ladies just acting like they were teenagers and early 20s and it felt odd to me. I just never really found my niche there, and slowly and slowly I drift away. At times, I swung back when I felt like I liked it or when I was bored. There was some good in there, it wasn't all shitty.

I was in grad school, trying to be a sober grad student. I did have a good and bad time my first semester academically. I did participate well but I never really found good friendships with people the first year I was there. People not near my age, people too snotty, etc. My incoming fall 2014 class in my MA program I didn't relate to. So I just retreated from them and just stuck with the recovery center people and Young AA people. They "were my people."

So I'm there doing all that. I slowly get pulled away from that slowly in late October 2014. I mean, I learned by this point: Travis was smoking weed but it wasn't a big deal. He had a mutual friend that I befriended that I felt was a good friend for him and me.

I slowly get into smoking weed with them. I get into the "party scene" again at the ripe age of 22. I mean, I felt like I was "back in the saddle." I wasn't going to be the miserable lone wolf I was a year prior in 2013 that went to bar after bar in my old college town and trying to find people at bars to be my friends or whatever. Here was a good chance to redeem myself and start a new. So I took this chance and held onto it tight.

So I did. It was good and bad, I slowly got into booze but it wasn't a big deal yet. I just drank on the weekend and ate while drinking. I only went to one bar that was walking distance from my appartment on campus, so I was playing it safe. Slowly, I was getting away from that bar and trying other bars near campus. I didn't have big issues(blacking out everytime I drank wasn't a problem yet or getting really drunk every time I drank).

Yeah I drank with Travis and smoked weed with him. But while I was doing all that, I was pulling away from recovery and AA. Why? Well, Travis had some "falling out" with the director of the recovery program who was also his sponsor(they met before Travis went to college at another place prior), he had discovered Travis was smoking weed from someone. It was an odd issue because it was during an odd time it happened this. I didn't want to pick sides, I didn't like picking sides. So while Travis and I were smoking and drinking, I was just going to meetings at times whenever I did. I was trying to keep a balance for a while. I stuck with Travis because I felt some emotional and amicable connection to him. I wanted to look out for him. And we started to show feelings for each other gradually: we said "I love you a lot", hugs lasting a while, and holding each other, and it was getting to show that. I knew I loved him.....so yeah.

That's how I started my spiral into a giant 15-16 month "relapse" into my graduate school life following getting sober while in the final weeks of my undergrad.