1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning my outlook on men.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Tereza, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Tereza

Hi there, first time poster here and hoping someone can help me out.

I've been in a relationship with a man for about 2 years now and I'm not sure if this is what I want anymore. Things have been serious between us- he's planning his life around me, wants to move in together by 2017 and wants to marry me. The thing is I don't want this at all and never asked for it to be so serious. We got into a relationship when I was 17 and he was 18. I would consider myself very much tramatized by the things men have done to me before in my life since I was a child and I believe it's affecting how I'm seeing men now. When I was 17 I sent my partner some nude photos and he was more than okay receiving them. When I turned 18 I realized it was really wrong for him to accept that. If I was in his position I don't think I would have accepted despite the one year difference a 17 is still a child under the law and that really messed me up a bit. We talked about it last year, he apologized and we haven't talked about it since but it still makes me uncomfortabe. There's a lot of other things but essentially I don't feel comfortable or safe being with men. I don't find myself attracted to them either and can't see myself being romantically involved with them. I'd like to break up with him but I have no idea how to tell him?

I made this new friend a few months ago and she's amazing and makes me feel so at peace with myself. I don't have any feelings for her but I can't help but think how being with her would be amazing. I've always been attracted to women and have dated in the past before.

What Im asking is, is it okay to feel this way? Should I break up with my boyfriend? Be single and just figure out what I want in my life?

Anyways, those of you have read thanks for reading. ♡

2. Really

It's totally ok to feel this way.

You are completely within your rights to tell your boyfriend you each want different things and then take it from there. Take a break, break up, whatever you need is perfectly fine.

You are still very young and even if you weren't interested in women, you want time to grow into yourself before you commit to someone else.