1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long-distance advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Nightstep, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Nightstep

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello all,
    In the past 6-7 months, I've met the woman of my dreams; she completes me. Going into this relationship, I knew right off the bat she would be leaving for an extended trip of 5-6 months (to hike the Appalachian trail). She left about 3 weeks ago and it has been some of the hardest days to date. She was almost to the point of living with me when she left, so her absence is felt anytime I'm home by myself.
    This is my first long-distance relationship, does anyone have any tips to make things easier? Time to go by quicker? I'm a full-time professional student, so that does help take some time away. But with her being out on the trail, I cannot communicate with her a ton. We text when we can, but her service is spotty. Facetime is a rare occurrence, but treasured when we get to do it. I've written a few letters already and intend to keep doing so.
    Thanks in advance for any advice. Counting down the days until September when she returns.

2. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This might seem hard, but try taking your mind off of her and take some time for yourself. It's great when you're in a relationship where the other completes you, but spending time with them 24-7 isn't necessarily the healthiest lifestyle. So hang out with other friends, work on the things that you love, do activities during the day, or go out to events. Then at the end of the day you can call your partner, and you'll both hopefully have something to share about your day.

#2 Linus, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  3. Nightstep

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your post! I think that all the time I have to myself is actually my problem, as I'm so busy with school, I have too much time to myself. I have a few friends out here with me (and with all my family being 900 miles away it really is just my friends out here in school) but we are all so busy being in clinics right now and have vastly different schedules. It is a rare occasion we can all get together and do anything. I certainly try to go out with my dogs on a walk, or game, but I just have *too* much time to myself and all I can think about is my sheer loneliness missing her.

4. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Im sorry to hear. Atleast shes doing something she (I think?) always wanted to do. After she gets back, it'll be so nice and rewarding to finally get to see her after such a long time. I would think of her being super happy and doing what she wants. I would be sooo happy for her. Im sure you are too. The fulltime studying thingy is a good sulotion. Maybe pick up an old hobby or one youve always wanted to do? I would try not to think so much about her, you'll only start to miss her more then. Maybe hang out with some friends and ask for their support? friends know what would cheer you up: ).

I wish you the best of luck with this.
    hugs:slight_smile:

5. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would try to think about some things you always wanted to do. It sounds like you are away at school so maybe go out and see what the city that you are in has to do. That way you can kind of keep your mind on something else when you guys are unable to talk