1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend has annoyed me and I just wanna rant a bit.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DragonsInSpace, Apr 25, 2016.

1. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just want to vent here.

I am out as gay. My friends know I'm gay and if I'm asked I don't deny it. Now, today my best friend - the first person I came out to - did some crap that just...idk, hurt me? In a way?

My friend (let's call her H) told me that a girl had called her cousin a lesbian, trying to insult her, and that it really upset her cousin. This alone sort of irked me and I tried explaining to her that being called a lesbian, or gay, or anything like that, should not be offensive to anyone and that it's homophobic and hurtful to those who actually do identify as any of those things because it gives those words a negative connotation. But even after I explained this to her, H just said that the girl had been mean to her cousin and that her cousin was upset because of it so she - H, that is - was going to be passive aggressive towards the girl. As if one cue, the girl walked past us and H said, just loud enough for the girl to hear, "Calling people lesbians is really rude and mean". Like, I was standing right there!

She knows that this sort of thing gets to me, and I am usually very thick-skinned. It isn't the first time she's said stuff like that either. She makes homophobic and transphobic comments and sometimes I think she doesn't even realise that they're offensive. But she does makes transphobic jokes now and then and I always call her out on her crap but nope, she still does it. She knows I feel strongly about these things but when I say that it's offensive she just dismisses it or makes it seem like I'm just over reacting. It's got to the point where I don't feel comfortable discussing anything even remotely related to anything LGBT in case it sparks an argument.

I'm just really tired of her dismissing my feelings when I point out that it hurts me (and anyone else who's queer that might overhear her). I'm glad I got that out. It was on my mind and I just wanted to rant a bit. Thanks for reading. :slight_smile:

2. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha I would be offended if i was called straight... Anyway, many people use the terms: gay, lesbian, trans... etc as insults. Im out to my friends and sometimes i insult them telling them dumb stuff and stuff that i dont understand straight people do :lol: . Its fine its used as an insult and she didn't mean to offend you i guess.

3. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hope you do realize that the girl who called H's cousin lesbian _intended_ it to be an insult. The actual choice of words is irrelevant as she could have called her a "prostitute" or a "mailman". H and her cousin would still be equally offended because it was meant to be an offense. Being a prostitute or a mailman is just an occupation and it should not be an insult as such.

If you insist that she shouldn't be upset because word "lesbian" shouldn't be an insult then you are being rather unreasonable. She is upset about the fact that this girl wanted to insult her cousin, not because she was called lesbian.

4. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a good point, I guess. I don't quite get why people use occupations as insults either tbh. Her cousin was upset specifically because she was called a lesbian. I've seen friends jokingly call her idiot and stuff like that and she'd just insult them right back without batting an eye. And yes, I do realise that the girl intended for it to be an insult. That's something I'm not fond of - people's sexualities being used as insults. Just fuels the homophobic views that so many people have round here.

Since yesterday though I've calmed down about it a bit and it hasn't come up again.

5. A Mindful Wolf

"I am usually very thick-skinned"

I think your post indicates otherwise...Some people don't like being called names you know, regardless of what it means. For example, I can take fag/homo/queer/gayboy/bitch/cocksucker, but I HATE it when people call me a pansy or sissy.

6. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Life's going to throw a lot more shit at you that just sexualities as insults. Just keep in mind that the people using these as insults really can't think of an original thing to say, besides, why do you care that much? I hear 'fag' and 'gay' being tossed around as insults all the time, I doubt they're ever going to go away, but they don't phase me that much. I don't mean to make a personal attack or anything, but it's not really that big of a deal.

Your friend was just trying to defend her cousin's honour, regardless of the insult, it upset her and it's what family do, I guess.

u PC bro

Have a good day,
    Shadd

7. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay yeah, it's not that big of a deal. I know I have to get used to it, and I hear stuff like this daily from other people in school and stuff and I'm not too bothered by it. I probably am being a bit overly PC but I've been stressed with exams and shit and this was the straw that broke the camel's back that particular day, y'know? I've since gotten over it and reading you guys' replies has made me realise that it's not a big deal. Like I stated in the first post, I just wanted to vent a bit that day.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate it when people do shit like that.

9. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Hm, give the circumstance, it seems kind of reasonable. I get the last straw thing, but I guess we have to just live with it x3

10. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just try to put things into proportion.. Maybe..

#10 SillyGoose, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016