1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbians in a kid's show!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by The Falcon, Apr 25, 2016.

1. The Falcon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I didn't know how to title this threat, but either way, here it goes...

I am gay, but my family doesn't know about it... And so I watch this show (Once Upon a Time) with my younger female cousin (she is 13) for five years now. It is our thing! It is about fairy tale characters that live in our own world. it is about bravery, love, friendship all those fairy tale stuff. So as you might know there was a very intense lesbian kiss between two female characters (Red Ridding Hood and Dorothy of Oz).

I sensed this might happen, but I had no idea that they would be that explicit. The characters professed their love for one another, hugged, kissed etc. So my confused catholic cousin was shocked and disgusted by the kiss... She just found it weird, she asked me how is it possible for two women to see each other as "girlfriends"...

I was pretty disturbed by this, I don't know why... Maybe the media is pushing it too far? Although honestly, the episode portrayed it very nicely, it didn't push it, they just introduced the possibility of two women loving each other.

She usually re-watches the episodes with her younger sister or her female friends... I am just anxious about their reactions and about this whole thing blowing in my face... But I also feel like I betrayed my attitudes toward the whole thing, because I said to her that it is a "stupid marketing ploy" or something...

I am really shocked by our society, because in that very show, that very character (Red Riding Hood) turns into a wolf and in one of the episodes she eats her boyfriend alive! Other characters pull people's heart out of their chest and they squash it! My cousin also is obsessed with terrorists because her grand-parents watch the news all the time... So how can our society tolerate so much violence without giving a damn, but we are shocked and disgusted by two people of the same sex kissing each other.

The Game of Thrones author says that nobody cares if he writes an axe entering a human skull, but they all scream when he writes about a penis entering a vagina!