1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to move out, need advice.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kodo, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I intend on moving out of my parent's home as soon as possible (which would be some months after my 18th birthday in August). So between now and then I'm going to get a job and try to save away some funds. But other than that, I have no idea what I should do to be preparing. I cannot exactly ask my parents, because they wouldn't want to "let me" go. But I wanted to start preparing well ahead of time - as I'm not going to up and leave with zero support and no idea what I'm doing.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a Advisor or someone I could talk to who could help me with this. I live in the USA, and I have no friends or people who I know that could give me temporary housing or help of any kind.

If anyone has advice, feel free to share. Thanks in advance.

2. yuanzi

I think money is probably the most important issue. You also need to find a not-too-shady apartment/studio that you can actually afford.

I have been living on student budget for a long time and a half decent bedroom usually costs $300+ per month in my area (depending on how many roommates you are willing to have). Studios are more expensive but suitable if you don't want to share. There are a lot of trust-worthy websites on which you can find housing info and sometimes roommates.

Transportation and neighborhood are important too. Of course if you drive it is a lot easier. Pick a relatively safe neighborhood if you often travel late at night. (Unfortunately in some places safety is associated with higher rent).

I would not be too picky about roommates. Some of my roommates were amazing but most were just indifferent, which was fine by me. Since you are so young, try to live with students or young professionals. Not saying they cannot be crazy, but probably less likely.

(All above is totally from my perspective as a student away from home and might not be related to your specific situation at all.)

3. photoguy93

From experiences with friends.......

Find a trusted website and see what's out there. Do an apartments.com search vs. getting on other sites (like CL). One thing you could do is contact a local university and see if there's someplace that students typically go to. While it might not be the best living, you'd be around people your own age (yes, I know that they will probably be crazy and such, but still!)

Money will then become your biggest issue. Oh, the apartment is only $250 a month? Well no. You'll have food, furniture (if not supplied), possibly utilities, then transportation.

I caution people that even if you really want to move out, sometimes staying in your place for a little longer can do wonders. Do not become desperate and rush yourself!

4. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off I dont know your situation, but if possible i would say stay where you are until you are ready to move.

If staying isnt an option start saving money NOW. The funny thing about moving is that it is expensive especially if you arent paying bills that are in your name right now.. And each bill you turn on will want a deposit. Renting a place you generally have to have the first months rent the day you move in plus a deposit. The deposit is usually roughly equal to 1-1.5 months worth of rent so on moving day you need enough money to pay 2-2.5 months of rent. Then you will likely have to have the electric turned on and can expect a deposit (at least this is what it costs here) around 100-150 bucks. Water? Another 50-75 dollars. Trash? Usually somewhere around 50 bucks (unless it is included in the water bill like it is here). So just an example if the apartment cost you 300 a month then you will need 300 for rent 400 for deposit, 125 for electric, 50 for water or 300+400+125+50= $875 dollars just to walk into an apartment that has utilities just on the first day (and this may be more or less depending on where you are there are some places in the country 800 a month is a cheap apartment).

The other thing you need to consider is that if the apartment cost more than about 1.5 weeks of your paycheck you cannot afford it. Assume you make 200 a week (assuming at 17 you are probably working for minimum wage and when you hit 18 and graduate H.S. they will start holding out taxes if you arent in college.) Thats 800 a month. We'll use the $300 apartment here. Your monthly bills will look something like this:

Rent -300
    electric- 125
    water- 40
    trash- 30

for a total of around $500 a month. Wow thats still 300 in your pocket right? Nope, how about gas in your car? $10 a week is $40 a month. so now you are down to 260. How about things every house needs like light bulbs, dish soap, laundry detergent, soap, shampoo, cleaning supplies for the bathroom. These little expenses can get up to 50 bucks a month leaving you only 200 or so for groceries. After buying food you will be lucky to have 40-50 bucks a month for other things.

The next thing you need to save for is well.. everyting you dont plan on taking from your current place. Are you gonna need a bed, dresser, couch, TV, TV stand......?

Finally the last thing you will need is some friends or something. There is nothing in life better than having someone who is there to support you emotionally or hell maybe loan you $5 if you are just flat broke. Everybody needs a support network. Also, moving out of your parents house is an emotional experience so it would be nice to have someone there for support.

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2016 at 02:13 PM ----------

Oh i almost forgot. Learn where all the resale shops are near your new place. It will save you tons of cash. Like instead of going out and buying a new couch for 500 (which would be a very cheap couch) you can usually pick one up from the salvation army for about $100. Dishes? $5 will rack up a ton of dishes at the resale shops.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Maybe write a list of things you'll need, such as a bed/mattress, a computer (if I know you right that's a must! Plus it's the 21st century...), a wardrobe or drawer to have your clothes, lightbulbs, cooking ware, etc. Remember some stuff can be buy used, which is cheaper and all. Maybe also making a food plan is a good idea, to make sure you're not spending too much on food you like a lot and then go hungry (that's happened to me a few times ^^ ).

#5 Invidia, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  6. AKTodd

Beyond the place to live/food/utilities/roommates issues that have been mentioned so far...

Do you have a car? Is it in your name, or do your parents actually own it? If you're moving out against their wishes, then expect that, at best, you will be responsible for all expenses related to the car, including insurance, registration, any annual taxes/fees/whatever your local government might have come up with to wring money out of people without actually calling it a 'tax'/etc. Plus gas, repairs, oil and general maintenance.

Worst case scenario, they refuse to let you take the car, in which case you will be without one until you can buy one. Which means public transport or a bicycle/scooter/motorbike until you can buy a car.

Something else to consider as you think this through.

Todd

7. photoguy93

And then if you don't have a car, you have to consider how you're going to carry things back and forth. Let's say you need groceries - - how will you transport them? Or, maybe you have to buy a new bookcase (so random, ha!) --- what do you do now?

8. Uncolored

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey sweety,
    Have you come out to your parents? How do you know that they wont support you (if you stay)? Why do you want to move out? Have you considered going to college?
    I think that you are making a really big life changing move and I am not sure if it is best for you in the long run. I do not know your story but depending on how it is, it is best if you stay where you are or go to college. I also think that if you have not come out to your parents then going and staying at college will be a big relief for you. Just make sure that you find a university that is more accepting.
    I have talked about this with my queer friends and I always feel sympathetic for queer high school students: they have no support, they can't go to queer events (they are usually 18-21+), and they are usually isolated. College is a whole different ball game and I have found that the exact opposite is true. No one cares about gender identity or sexual orientation and there is almost always an LGBTQ+ club or community on campus. Please consider this.
    I am with some of the other people on this thread and I speak from experience. Car insurance is expensive and you will not be able to pay your bills on minimum wage (or even slightly over minimum wage). Don't screw up your life and walk away the financial support of your parents. You wont have to be with them forever. As a 22 year old, I have become considerably independent from my family but I still need their financial support.