1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Counselling

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by laviedadele, Apr 28, 2016.

1. laviedadele

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder if anyone has any advice regarding counselling? I can't afford to see someone privately, and have gone through my university service. It has taken months from the whole process of ringing up to being given a block of sessions.

I've had 3 so far, and its my first experience of it. I find it quite uncomfortable. I have a really personal distressing childhood experience that is upsetting me, and I want to address it, but the thought of telling them about it and their reaction makes me cringe. Like I'm scared of what they'd say, it's just so intimate. Is this normal? I don't want to quit the sessions without sorting it. I feel it has impacted me a lot, it makes me cry to begin thinking about it.

On the plus side I've spoken about my not-straight-ness easily. The tension I feel about verbalising this childhood "thing" is the same I felt when I first came out to a friend.

2. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's completely normal to be reluctant to tell them everything, just wait until you're ready, or more prepared to talk about it. No one can force you to tell them, whether you tell the counsellor or not is up to you. Remember that you have to be brave, and that they can't attempt to address the issue if they don't know about it. I know it's hard, but no pain no gain- I guess. It'll get easier after the first step- just starting counselling is a brave thing to do. I know you can do it, just take your time.