1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning My Sexuality

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DoctorSir, May 2, 2016.

1. DoctorSir

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hello everybody, I'm new here :slight_smile:

So, lately I've been questioning my sexuality. I've been noticing guys more but I've always considered myself to be straight. As somebody who has been raised in the South and in a really conservative Christian family (I'm the only liberal go figure), I've always been taught that homosexuality is wrong and I'm afraid that my parents and grandparents will reject me if I were to come out as gay or bisexual. Where I live, many people are opposed to people who identify as LGBT with some exceptions.

What should I do? Wait until university? Embrace this?

Thanks in advance

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The short answer to your question is: do whatever you're comfortable with. :slight_smile:

The longer answer - waiting until going to college is a common decision, for a lot of reasons that you are probably already considering - new people, away from home, easier to find others who will be supportive/accepting/LGBT themselves, etc.

But, that said, that depends on how far away university is for you. You could consider coming out to friends, school counselors, and such in the meantime. Depending on your precise location, and ability to travel, there might be LGBT centers you could check out in nearby cities. If you have more than a little bit to go until college, the release of being able to be honest about yourself in the meantime might be worth it. Overall though, trust your gut. If you're really not ready to start branching out, don't push yourself. But if you'd like to, even if just to one person, maybe it would be a nice start. :slight_smile:

In any case, welcome to the site! Hope you like it here!

3. DoctorSir

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the welcome! :slight_smile:

I think it would be difficult for me to come out at my location, due to the strong sense in "traditional families" in my community. Maybe I can wait until college in a couple years so I can move away and meet supporters and others like me :slight_smile:

4. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There aren't enough details for me to help you find your actual sexuality... However, if you are not sure your parents will be accepting, dont come out to them until you can move out and live a life on your own IN CASE they reject you, and in some rare cases, not want to talk to you/ see you anymore.

However, what i did was come out to my closest friends that i trust without letting my family know :slight_smile: