1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General question - About colors

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jogos, May 5, 2016.

1. Jogos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *General question*

I have read a few articles throughout my life, me being a science, psychology lover, I have questioned this myself regarding color and how people perceive it.

Usually when asked "which are more male appropriate colors?" or "which colors would you brand as dominantly male?" the most common answers are

Male: Blue, Green, Red, Black.

When asked, "which are more female appropriate colors?" or "which colors would you consider more dominantly branded as female?" the most common answers are

Female: Pink, Purple (and occasionally Yellow , maybe even orange)

But what makes say....Yellow feminine ? or Green masculine?? Sure society has sort of "forced" the "blue for boys" and "pink for girls" stereotype on the products that are sold, clothing for babies. Maybe nowadays in 2016 its changed a bit, thankfully :slight_smile: But I am very curious to know who decided all of this? pink and purple being feminine, yellow being feminine?

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    - Marketing and profit making people, they claim that ''it is for everyone, but we sort it out based on who is more likely to pick it to help parents shop'' - but I really don't think it's helping the children who grow up to be parents and reassert these stereotypes onto their kids who may or may not want to break them.

Blue used to be ''for'' girls as it was seen as pretty and pink used to be ''for'' boys as it was seen as strong.

My guess [and just my guess] is that girls overtime wanted to break the ''blue for girls'' stereotype and like pink ''like the boys'' and then overtime boys wanted to break the ''pink for boys'' stereotype and like blue ''like the girls''. This is my guess based on what we see a lot today.

According to the focus magazine, girls liking pink may come from when women used to pick the ripe fruit that was pink and so needed to know if it was pink enough to pick it, which got transmitted down the generations.

3. Butterfly2016

The way I see it, wear whatever colors make you feel like you :slight_smile: Clothes are not that important. Personality is more important.

4. killswitch0029

I've never given it much thought. I just like the color blue because I think it's nice, not because it's "male appropriate"

5. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yellow, green, white, grey and even orange are all "gender neutral" colours to me. The only definite gender defining colours (in my opinion) are blue/red for males and pink/purple for females (Specifically referring to baby/children's wear). Black and brown could go either way. It depends on the item of clothing (design/pattern), and the age of the wearer. For babies, brown is mostly used for males. But for adults, it can go either way. So I think it all depends on the person(s) involved AND the item of clothing (design/pattern).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#5 Ruby Dragon, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  6. Jogos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status: