1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSA Flag

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BreakinDaylight, May 5, 2016.

1. BreakinDaylight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So the president of my school's GSA bought a rainbow flag to hang in our club room. The sponsor teacher approved, and the flag has been hanging in the back corner of the classroom for two weeks. Recently, a parent called in anonymously, complaining about the flag and demanding we take it down because "I'm offended" "you're shoving an idea down my child's throat". So we took the flag down, but we're allowed to hang it at meetings. Our sponsor teacher wrote an email to the principal so we can discuss with him why we have to take down the flag and if we can keep it up. At today's GSA meeting we brainstormed questions to ask the principal next week. We don't have too many good questions that we can really use to get a serious discussion about this started, so I've decided to ask you lovely folks of EC.

The GSA and I want to keep our flag up; we don't want to be silenced. We've had our flyers torn down, teachers complain about the club, and are met with snickers in the halls. This flag means so much to us, but we have to take it down because one complaining parent. Also, this parent threatened to involve the media if we don't take the flag down. Our school was in the national media last semester, so our principal does not want this to happen again.

Any advice?