1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad and lonely

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TheDude, May 9, 2016.

1. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's how I've been feeling lately. This past weekend I cried a lot. The truth is that I don't have any friends. I have problems to socialize because I suffer from social anxiety. I do go to a psychology and a psychiatry, and I take zoloft to manage my anxiety.
    And yet I can't find myself interacting with people and making friends. I feel deeply sad. I'm 24 and don't have anyone to count on besides my boyfriend and my sisters, who are great but I wish to have a close friend who I can share a good time.
    It's so hard for me to find someone who I can be friends with. It's making me feel sad and depressed, and I can't stop thinking about it.
    I'm lost :icon_sad:

2. broken911

we're on the same boat.. except i dont have anyone to count on. no bf or family. i dont want to be rude but does your boyfriend have any friends? how long have you two been together?

3. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I know how you feel. A lot of people will think you should find all you need in your boyfriend but sometimes you need to have that close friend as well.
    I think this is a problem specific to gay relationships. If you were straight and had a wife you would still have a best male friend. Most gay men I know have a female best friend but as close a relationship as that can be, sometimes you want that friend to truly understand you. The problem is, when a gay man has a gay male best friend, people automatically assume there must be some sexual link or cheating going on. In my own experience, I almost feel guilty about wanting to share things with a close male friend because I don't want my boyfriend to feel as though he isn't good enough.
    Add all that in to the mix along with the difficulty of actually meeting new people, it's a tricky business.

Have you talked to your boyfriend about how you're feeling?

4. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You are not being rude. My boyfriend has a looot of friends, he is very social. Whenever he has some plans with his friends, I come along with him. I have good relationships with his friends, but the problem is that they are his friends, and I would like to make some on my own.
    Recently I turned 24, and he gave me a surprise party. It was nice and all, but i felt very sad inside because everyone that was there were his friends.

We are turning 2 years in june since we've been together.

---------- Post added 10th May 2016 at 03:56 PM ----------

I totally understand what you are saying.
    My boyfriend is aware of this. He is comprehensive. He doesn't know how sad I am about this. We spent every weekend together and he barely has time to be with his friends, and that makes me sad.

5. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you considered telling him how upsetting it is? Of all the people you know, he is probably the most likely to be able to help you.
    Does he not spend time alone with his friends? Also, do you think he sees them as his friends or do you think he would say 'our' friends? Maybe if he thinks that way, he can't see the problem you have of feeling isolated because he thinks you have a lot of friends.

We all need at least one friend that we can talk with in confidence about our partners. If not it could drive us mad.

6. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think he knows. We have talked about it in the past and he knows that I struggle with that. I do feel though that this is something that I need to work on my own.

He sometimes spent time alone with his friends, but he is more likely to ask me to join them rather than leaving me alone.

Like you said, I wish I had someone who I could rely on besides my bf who I can laugh and cry with, and tell things that I don't wanna tell anyone else :icon_sad:

7. broken911

oh ok i see. i understand i have no friends on my own b/c of the anxiety. btw i saw that you're from B.A. im also from there (im not from ny) speak spanish ? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Really? I do speak spanish but I think we are not allowed to speak in another language.

9. broken911

yeah. message me if you want. im in the capital city