1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THE ART OF BEING NORMAL (in the closet)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by alicetastic, May 18, 2016.

1. alicetastic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I want to do a speech for an English assessment on a book called the art of being normal, by Lisa Williamson.
    I am afraid that my parents will find out that I did my speech on a LGBT book about trans people.
    Also, I'm scared of the reaction ill have from the rest of my class, i know that my English teacher is okay with it.
    I HAVE A PASSION FOR LGBT literature, and I'm sure i will get a great mark on my speech which is planning on being titled:
    "Why the art of being normal and other LGBT books are important in today's society."
    HALPPPP?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't read the book, but presumably it talks about why its own presented issues are important? Referencing it in your own speech may be sort of redundant.

Maybe you could use Normal as an example for a bigger point made. Perhaps nobody's normal. We all just act like it to fit in with others, who are also acting normal to fit in with us. It's not as all-encompassing a concept as most people imagine, which should serve as de facto acceptance of alternate sexualities/gender identities. The book and a few other resources can be cited as evidence of that. :slight_smile:

#2 Argentwing, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  3. Fromslahen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is this just general worry, or is there a plausible way for them to find out? Unless you hand them your essay, they probably won't find out about it. If you live in a particularly bigoted area, you might need to give it a second thought but if it's mostly just your family you shouldn't have any worries. What's possible and what's likely are two very different things