1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving on the motorway (England)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Robert, May 18, 2016.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I'm a new driver and have only been on a big motorway for an extended period of time once before - and that was at night with barely any cars on the road.

I was just wondering which lane, in a 3 or 4 lane motorway is the best lane to be in generally?
    When I was on the motorway before, I stayed in the left hand lane (slow lane) but I had trouble and felt pressured letting people from slip roads on to the motorway.
    I'm thinking the middle lane is probably best as the right hand lane is basically for people who speed. But i know that the middle lane may be problematic as I will have to be on the look out for traffic merging from both the other lanes.

Any other advice would be appreciated. My journey will take around 4 hours.

Thanks!

2. TraceElement

I'm in the US, but im guessing that motorways are what we call expressways. I generally like to be in the middle lane(s) so im not always having to let people in and there isn't anyone right on my bumper trying to speed.

3. MissSkywalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm not a driver but dad has always told me that it is not good to hogg the middle lane all the time. I'm not sure of his reason but he usually sticks to the left hand side lane.

4. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To the left most lane unless you want to overtake someone.

5. LHecW

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    You stay in the slow lane (outside) until you find you wish to pass a vehicle then you move into the next lane in. If that also has a vehicle you wish to pass then move in again. For the past few years there has been a back lash against middle/2nd lane hogs.

Think of it like a 2 laned A road but bigger :slight_smile: And keep an eye out for the average speed cameras nowadays - they are becoming especially prevalent around S. East... not a problem if you're not speeding but look out for some idiots who still think braking sharply when they spot a camera will help.

ETA: Also be aware that when approaching a sliproad merging onto the motorway you may need to move out into the second lane to allow a car to get on easily :slight_smile:

Overall it's just a case of being aware and driving in a way that keeps you feeling comfortable behind the wheel. My first time driving after apssing my test was from my parents in Scotland to my place in Kent as I had gone up for a holiday and to collect my car, so motorways and the Dartford crossing happened :/

#5 LHecW, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  6. CharacterStudy

You are supposed to stay in the slow lane except when overtaking, or letting people in off a slip road, then you move out into the middle and back again. People hate 'middle lane hogs'.

Could you take a couple of extra driving lessons for motorway driving? Lots of people do that to help their confidence, and really I think it should be mandatory given you don't get to drive on motorways when you're a learner!

7. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Our number 1 road rule is, "Keep left, pass right" I avoid highways (motorways) as much as possible, because I don't like the feeling that everybody is always in a hurry - I feel like I'm in everybody's way, even if I'm driving the maximum speed limit. It's just very stressful for me. You will always get assholes who will flash their headlights or honk their horn at you, telling you to move over into the other lane, but what exactly makes THEM so fucking special? If I know that I have to turn right somewhere, I stick to the right lane (AKA the fast lane). But in general, I stick to the slow lane. And the odd occasion where I use highways (motorways), I also tend to stick to the slow lane, and only drive in the middle lane when passing another vehicle.

8. LHecW

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If you can look into taking a Pass Plus course - gives you motorway experience (along with driving at night/in torrential rain etc) and also can be good with some insurers :slight_smile: