1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Moving Away A Good Idea?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Matto_Corvo, May 19, 2016.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About a year ago a friend of mine moved to Boston. He was excited and I was excited for him, after all we both have wanted to move out of South Carolina most of our lives. Today he posted on facebook that he is moving back to South Carolina. He realized that it would always be his home and that he missed living here.
    Obliviously there is nothing wrong with learning that the place you wanted to get away from is the place you actually wanted to be all along. The thing about traveling and growing older is to learn new things about ourselves.

But seeing him move back here as raised a lot of doubt in me. As I've said many times before, I plan to go to college out of country. I wanted that experience and I would love to see how I handle being away from the small, country town life. I don't want to be like him and find out that South Carolina is where I belong all along. Just all the stupid shit that has been going on in the south has made me want to run for the hills, I really don't want to find that I'll end up back here.

2. PennyMonkey96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well you won't know if you don't go. Plus that was his reaction, maybe you feel more comfortable outside of SC.

3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the previous poster. His experience is his and yours will be yours.
    I personally live in a different country than my family and tend to change countries very often, I like living abroad and the thought of living in my hometown for the rest of my days would probably be my definition of hell but my brothers are most likely going to do that. They just aren't as adventurous, are happy enough where they live and aren't that bother about where they end up spending the rest of their life. We are just different people, them living what I see as a ''boring life'' doesn't mean that it is, it's just mean that we aren't meant to live the same type of life and that's fine.

Your friend may have underestimated what living far away from home meant and how difficult it can be ( being new, not knowing anyone, not having much support, missing home or people we love) , it doesn't mean it will be the same for you. As PennyMonkey said, you won't know until you try it. What's the worse that can happen apart from you not liking it and realizing your hometown isn't that bad ?

Give it a try and see how it goes.

Good luck ! :slight_smile:

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the replies.
    I know the only way I'll find out is by moving out of SC. Truthfully that is what going to an out country (or just out of state depending on what I can manage with finical aid) for college is about. I feel it offers me a good opportunity to see what it is like else where in the world and outside the comfort zone I have established in my home state.

Constantly hearing that people from small towns don't fair well in big cities just has a way of making doubts pop up.