1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graduating From Therapy

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by iamjustababy, May 23, 2016.

1. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, basically, next week I graduate from group therapy.
    This a really big deal for me because I've been in there for over a year now, and it's time for me to leave.
    I'm also going from every other week of individual therapy to once a month.

My problem is that I'm afraid of relapsing once I get out of therapy.
    I haven't self harmed in almost 5 months, thanks to therapy, and I haven't relapsed in depression/mania either since about mid February. So I'm afraid that once I do leave, I'll relaps.

Any advice on how to avoid relapsing?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My biggest suggestion would be to keep an open line of communication with the therapist you're working with. If you're concerned about making the leap, then they should certainly be aware of that (if they aren't already). And if you make the leap and feel like it's not working out, or not as helpful, then certainly let them know. But, ideally, your therapist wouldn't be graduating you if they didn't feel like you were ready.

That aside, if group therapy has been working, one thing to consider might be figuring out how you can incorporate aspects of that experience into your everyday life. Group therapy probably provided a major support network for you. So, what other support networks do you have in life? And where can you start building new ones?

3. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your response!
    They know I'm a tad bit nervous about it. I'm definitely ready to graduate from therapy, and I brought it up myself. I also brought up the fear of relapsing to my individual therapist. He said everyone has bumps in the road, and that he's always here to talk.

I have a transgender therapy group I go to every once in a while, so I'll have that and individual therapy.

I guess I was a little but worried about it when I made this thread because the idea is new to me, graduating and all. But now that it's sunk in I feel confident that I'll make it out alive haha.