1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression/Self harm/ Suicide HELP

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Izzy H, May 31, 2016.

1. Izzy H

I posted a while back about needing some help with self harm urges.
    Well, I've given in to the point of suicidal urges and would REALLY appreciate some help cause I feel trapped in a box with this one. My other friend that I would talk to about it is dealing with so much depression issues that I feel bad asking them for help (not just you Gray. You somehow ALWAYS find my posts) And I would go to Gray, but I'm scared I may cause them to have a panic attack, and on top of that, they have WAY too much shit on their plate.
    Can someone please help me?
    I feel alone here ;-;

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you need to talk, my inbox as well as those of the other Advisors here are always open. :slight_smile:

Is there any way that you'd be able to get help from a professional? Perhaps a school counselor?

3. Izzy H

My consular knows, but she can't do anything about it. And I'm getting help for it, but I can only see the guy once, maybe twice a month.

4. bryaninau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please don't do it you have some much to live for, you are a great person inside and out no matter what others say. Are you on any anti-depression medication at all?

5. Izzy H

I was kinda. I take strattera and wellbutrin for my AdHd, but I stopped with the wellbutrin. But I also don't want to rely on induced feelings. I wanna actually BE better ;-;

6. Just Call Me Ky

This is just a suggestion and I know it may not work for everyone but for self harm it can help to grab a marker and just draw on yourself where you would normally harm. Write quotes or draw or make designs. You can just keep filling it in and your skin can be a canvas for you to express your pain without causing damage. It doesn't work for everybody but you could give it a try. It helped me. I am so sorry that you are feeling stuck. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

7. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are thinking about suicide, please call the national suicide prevention hotline number. Google it and it'll show right up.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you wrote about your feelings and urges to self harm before, did anyone suggest alternative coping strategies to you? If so, what did you try and how did you get on? There are many things you can do to try to 'surf the urge' to cut, or otherwise injure yourself, but it would be useful to know what you have tried already. Tell us, if you can.

I'm concerned that you are struggling so much with your mood that you have advanced towards feeling suicidal, but I'm pleased that you have created this thread to seek help and support. It's good that you recognise the need to reach out and talk. What can you tell us about the issues and feelings that are leading to this overwhelming sense of despair? Is it one thing, or many things? Try to tell us about it, or private message me, if you prefer.

It's good that you have a therapist and extra support in place and I'm wondering if you have the option to call for help in between appointments, if you need it? If not, would you consider talking to a suicide prevention service like The Trevor Project: The Trevor Project or one of these helplines/crisis centers: International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) - Resources: Crisis Centers

When you have despairing thoughts it's very important to release the pressure. Keeping a lid on everything will make matters worse, so please continue to talk about it and all that you are going through. It does make a difference.

9. Butterfly2016

I'm currently dealing with some of these issues as we speak. I don't like waking up in the morning much anymore, as I don't have much to look forward to. I have a lot more sad days than happy days. I'm extremely tired. And I often wonder why I'm still trying. Its awful.

10. Just Call Me Ky

@Butterfly2016 I am so sorry to hear that. Last year I was at a really bad low point and I even attemted suicide at one point. I am on medication now which wasn't really my choice and wasn't something I wanted to be dependant on to be "normal" but I am not as tired and things started meaning more to me. I have made goals for myself and I am saving up to travel because it's what I am passionate about. Medication changed a lot for me as much as I didn't and still don't really like that I take pills every day but it could help you too if you haven't tried it yet. Take care of yourself as much as you can, take nice baths, go for walks outside, choose something you want to see or do and then just do it. I have been made stronger from this depression and you can too. Hang in there. Lots of love -Ky

11. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why did you stop Wellbutrin? I was on that but had to be taken off of it because it was aggravating my seizures. You should ask about Effexor. It's very fast working and it will give you that extra push in the right direction. No one wants to rely on medication but the fact of the matter is depression, mental illness is because chemicals in our brains aren't at the right levels and chemical intervention is needed to correct that along with cognitive therapy. I know this all too well, I'm bipolar. And it's good you're in treatment already so you're already doing what you need to do :slight_smile:

The best advice I got is when these feelings and urges come up, suddenly start to slow everything down around you and focus on one thing at a time. You should start to find when you do that and focus on mundane tasks you'll have distracted yourself to the point where they'll have faded away and you can overcome it.

I only see my pysch once a month or so too. It can be frustrating indeed. But as stated above, if it gets really severe there is always the option of the help line or self admittance to the ER. I've done both and don't ever be afraid to ask for help. We all need it sometimes.

12. Izzy H

*hugs everyone* Thanks everyone :slight_smile:
    I honestly, when I posted this at first, wasn't thinking really, well, anyone would reply.
    I'm glad I was wrong.