1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Future

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Noratical98, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Noratical98

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am currently having to make a choice as to what direction I want to take in life because I'm soon to have to apply to uni but my options are so contrasting and one requires loads of work for less money but I think it's my passion and the other is a much safer bet, my problem is that I just can't imagine a future in work where I'll be happy/not get bored.

I just see work as work whatever it is and I can only ever get my shit together at the last possible moment. I struggle to leave anything I've had a hand in imperfect and it just makes for a very stressful, unproductive and unenjoyable lifestyle.

I'm 17 and I feel utterly drowned in decisions I feel I can't possibly make with any kind of normal reasoning and I'm worried I'll waste years of my time pursuing something that'll either fail to support me to the extent I imagine or that'll compromise my happiness to do so. Will money make me happy?

I just feel I need to escape this choice but at the same time I refuse to allow myself to just drift into a career as my parents did because they don't ever seem to be happy with any aspect of their working lives.

That felt heavy and I know there are so many people in the same dilemma I just feel that it's really impacting on my happiness and work ethic now as I struggle to keep going with anything where I can't see a purpose for it. :/

Thanks to anyone who has any thoughts.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off, take a deep breath. You don't need to have your life planned out at 17. Yes it may feel like, but you don't. I remember senior year of highschool it seemed like everybody knew what they wanted to do with their lives. Except me. But the reality is that first year (and later!) Of college/university people switch majors. They drop out. And that's fine :slight_smile:

I'd choose the one I liked the most. University is a lot of work. I can't imagine staying motivated on all of it if you didn't like most of your classes.

3. Rains

Hey there I second that ; I graduated uni a few yrs back; something you may not realise about the process and the stage of life you are in now is the capacity for change; in that you actually don't have to have it figured out but rather allow the many experiences you will have coming; to change and shift and expand your perceptions; as you continually learn and grow from them. Give yourself permission to explore your interests and take the time to pursue your passions and invest in getting to know yourself; that's the power of university that is often unsaid: it's not so much the content ( the what) but it's the process ; the how to think; that is such s gift.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try not to think of it as a 'black or white' decision or you will just get stuck. But do try to understand where your interests/ passions and motivations are in your core being

I am from the standpoint that you need to be passionate and excited about your job as you will spend 1/3 of your life doing it. Another 1/3 of your life sleeping. And another 1/3 of your life getting to and from work!

it is true that if you start a degree course, and it is not suiting you as much as you had hoped, many people change courses after the first year without losing out.

Also, think about researching courses. Get on a train and go to campuses, meet students who are already doing courses you are interested in so you open your eyes to all aspects ... this could open your eyes in unexpected ways

don't feel overwhelmed or full of dread... see this as a launchpad for the rest of your life. It can be so damned exciting !!!