1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride Festival Advice for a Teen?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Bricksighe, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Bricksighe

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm going to the Nashville Pride Festival this year and I want some advice from someone who's gone to one. The only issue I'm having with it is that I'm young, so I don't know what exactly to expect. (The only thing I don't have to worry about is that I know the area very well.) This isn't something that urgently needs to be answered since it's late June.

2. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've gone to Pride Festivals multiple times (not Nashville ofcourse since thats a long distance away LOL)... and I'm also old, so maybe others here can offer better advice.

Basically what to expect (if its anything like the larger ones I've went to) is lots of people! from Teens all the way up to senior citizens, even parents with young kids too. (probably the majority being 20's-40's though). Oh and most of the people there are just average/normal appearing.... Really if you've been to any sorta large outdoor festival, a Pride festival isn't all that different (obviously geared more towards GLBT people, but like I say not greatly different...if all the rainbow stuff was hidden, and you simply walked by you wouldn't know).

As for the festival itself: There will be a bunch of vendor booths from GLBT-owned/or friendly companies. And 1 or more stages with various Bands/DJ's/Actors doing shows
    Then ofcourse some have a parade, and well what can I say its a parade! And come can be quite long - like a 2+ hours! (personally I prefer to go to the festival & skip the parade...but thats me, and also has to do with the timing.)

One thing I'd say is go to YouTube and search for... in your case 'Nashville PrideFest'. That should give somewhat of a preview of what you'll see, from actual people who have went rather than the news which only picks the most extreme examples.

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Echoing SimplyJay's account. Basically, every time I've gone, it's not hugely different from most other outdoor festivals, just lots of LGBT folks, lots of vendors, food/drink, and the occasional small isolated celebrations going on here and there. I've seen all kinds of people, including same-sex couples who bring their children.

I would just say, come comfortable, enjoy what you find, talk to people, pick up all the free stuff that will be on display, and have fun. :slight_smile:

4. EstoraIsSoQueer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the advice!

5. Bricksighe

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a good time there. Thanks guys!

#5 Bricksighe, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  6. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status: