1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I do?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SatansFav, Jun 8, 2016.

1. SatansFav

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I live in a small redneck town of fewer than 1000 people, and about 75% of them are racist, homophobic assholes. This is especially bad, because I have a bit more of a focus on men, and it's quite hard when you crush on someone who hates the thought of your very existence. Please help, I don't know what to do anymore.

2. faustian1

I see your location is shown as Kamloops BC. I know the area of eastern BC fairly well, as I live in the eastern portion of Washington State, in the United States.

I too live in a little redneck town, near Spokane, Washington. However, for several decades, I lived in the city of Seattle, Washington, which has a reputation for being a very liberal town, with a lot of gay people.

After living in this rural area, I have made more acquaintances who are not ***straight*** than I ever did in Seattle. In fact, here it is easier to meet people, in my opinion.

Of course, it is true that there are plenty of rednecks (including a surprising number of non-straight ones), a few racists, and more than a few homophobic types here. Perhaps that makes the more progressive types more interested in making contact with the others who aren't that way. I can't be sure of the reason, but I feel more socially integrated here, than I did in the larger city. I think the key is that I am willing to accept the closed minded people, so long as I am free to do what I want. I know that is a complicated issue.

Kamloops, on the other hand, is in that famous country (Canada--I'm a dual citizen, by the way), that everyone in the US thinks is the progressive paradise, where everyone chants kumbayah and nothing is out of place. Of course, we know that isn't the case, in places in the rural interior of Canada at least.

Ah, but if the problem is crushing on people who hate the thought of your very existence, that is something you could work on. That happened to me just as much in Seattle, as anywhere. But you shouldn't do that--crushing on people who hate you is not something to do very often!

Of course, if you can perhaps you could try living somewhere else, if jobs or circumstances aren't a problem. The town of Nelson, BC comes to mind--it seems like a hippie dippy place if ever there was one. Plenty of gay people there, too.

But meanwhile, can you try to focus more on the 25%, instead of the 75%?

#2 faustian1, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016