1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recurring anxiety about getting arrested

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RavenTheRat, Jun 10, 2016.

1. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As a prelude, I AM trying to find a therapist for my anxiety- there's just none around where I live so it's quite the hunt ^^;

So I've started having recurring panic attacks about being arrested. For no reason. I've literally never stepped an inch out of line my entire life, but I'm PARANOID at this point about everything I do. I'm afraid that I'll be arrested and that my entire future and everything I've worked towards will be ripped away from me like that.

My main fear is that someone I'm friends with or dating will do something illegal and I'll get arrested with them for being in a relationship (platonic or otherwise) with them. Not for HELPING them, just for KNOWING them. (Not trying to imply anyone I know WOULD do something illegal. They would never. But irrationality is fun.:dry:slight_smile: Is that possible? Can that happen?

I'm sorry I'm always posting my stupid fears on here and bothering you guys.....

2. faustian1

Perhaps it not so irrational, in east Texas or your neighbor state, South Carolina... :dry:

Seriously, however, I wonder if this is post traumatic stress. Did something happen to you when you were young that feeds this fear you have?

#2 faustian1, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  3. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No, nothing at all. It's definitley my generalized anxiety disorder, not PTSD.

#3 RavenTheRat, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  4. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    not sure about your out status, though if you're still in the closet, it might be affecting your situation. The only truly possible way that might happen, is if you're involved in something illegal with a drug lord. Or having sex in open public places. maybe on that scale. everything else, you can take down a notch. It's best to keep a calm and rational mind then having to worry about everything all the time (i'm no expert at this, don't torch me lol) maybe yoga or meditation might help to keep yourself relaxed. It's not an uncommon thing to feel that way about everyone when that happens. People can be unpredictable sometimes.

5. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually got arrested for something I didn't do and for something that never actually happened just because of the way I look and I went to jail for it. I can't tell you more than that though or it will give away who I really am. So I get this anxiety you're having ... but now I'm in a million dollar lawsuit. The whole thing is a clusterfuck. The world is a messy place...

I thought it would never happen to me, but it did. The only thing you can do is stand your ground.

6. faustian1

Years ago this also nearly happened to me, and I was saved only by the incredible stupidity of the persons doing the accusing. It made me into a much better juror, whenever I'm called for jury duty.