1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this reasonable?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Glowing Eyes, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Glowing Eyes

So I've been on vacation in Germany seeing old friends and family for two weeks now (I'll write more about it once I get back to the US) but I'm going to Turkey tomorrow 'cause my mother's side of the family is Turkish. My dad told me not to use the forum over there 'cause the government can see what websites I go on and Turkey isn't very tolerant country (although it's still way better than most of the rest of the Middle East). Is there and risk of me using thiss forum in Turkey? My dad is admittedly paranoid (he says it himself) when it comes to technology even though he's a software engineer. It is good to see that he's fine with me using the forum in general though.

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I think that's hard to say unless you're living in Turkey or have specific knowledge about it. If you're worried about that, why not ask your mother?

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think your father is overdoing it a little bit. Turkey is not the most tolerant and accepting country in the world, but it's by no means the worst. I don't think the Turkish government will be greatly concerned by your online activities... they have bigger concerns than seeking you out for logging into EC while you are visiting relatives. You're not a threat to the state or anything like that.

4. GayBoyBG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't be surprised in a country that's run by a twisted nutjob. Then again, I doubt anyone would put money and effort in reading posts on a LGBT forum from a 14-years old kid. I guess I'll go with the rest and say that your dad is overdoing it, though that's what fathers are for :slight_smile:

5. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is probably ok, Turkey is relatively safe even if it is in a decline and becoming more extreme and there is still a pride parade in Istanbul. Surfing on an lgbt site should be ok, however, if you stay with religious relatives you should obviously be much more careful but this is true with pretty much all fanatical religious people everywhere. (Some religions are more tolerant than others.) If you are worried just delete your history after using a site...

On the other hand, if you are worried about it, it is probably a good idea to not go on sites just so you don't overthink things and start suffering from anxiety. Our own minds are often our greatest enemies and the difference between a perceived threat and real danger is very small cognitively. It is important that you feel safe and comfortable when staying in a place as it can take a toll if you don't.

I hope that you will be ok and that you do have a nice time. (*hug*)

#5 Eveline, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016