1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to my first Pride Parade!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Robishere, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Robishere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recently came out to my family, they all took it wonderfully. With coming out, I expressed that I really wanted to go to this year's Pride parade which will be held on June 26th. As you may know, I've never been to a Pride Parade before... So I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I'd love it if anyone could give me any information on what Pride is like!

What should I be expecting?

What should I bring to make sure I have a great experience?

Thank you! :eusa_danc :smilewave

2. AKTodd

Pride varies from place to place due to differences in population, local culture, and the size of the local LGBT population.

You may see anything from scantily clad people to folks wearing police or emergency medical uniforms (because they are police or emergency medical personnel) to people dressed in 'everyday' clothes but marching with banners representing their organization or group. You may see some people dressed in drag. You may see same sex parents with kids. You may see some people in leather bondage gear. Or all of these together. And more.

Some Pride events divide things up into 'family friendly' and 'adult' spaces or timing of events, some don't, although that's probably more something you'd see at the 'carnival' type Pride events or if there is one before or after the parade.

Expect to see some number of people being openly affectionate, because they can be and it's our day.

As far as what you should bring - you might want some bottled water to stay hydrated. I'm assuming a cell phone with a camera is already standard for you:slight_smile:

Hope this helps,

Todd

3. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Glad to hear your family was accepting when you came out!

Like AKTodd said Pride varies from place to place.

In the Pride parade you'll see Businesses/Churches/City/County Emergency Personnel(Police/Firefighters/Medical)/various local organizations & groups/...really its a bit of everything/everyone.
    .. (oh and the one I went to was over 2 hours long, but it was also within the top 10 largest in the country)

If there's a carnival/festival part to pride, it could be anything from small-town festival with minimal crowds, to a large event with tons of people attending. There'll probably be booths with vendors selling various GLBT-related stuff like pride-flags & clothing, as well as local organizations/groups/churches/etc (like the parade a wide range), probably a stage (or stages) with Bands, DJ's, or performers.

I absolutely recommend bringing bottled water(if allowed) In particular if its hot sunny weather where you are. Even so, try to stay in the shade if you can :lol:
    I also recommend bringing a camera & extra batteries for it.