1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk about Orlando

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kyboan, Jun 14, 2016.

1. kyboan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So Orlando hits pretty close to home, literally and figuratively. I live only 2 hours away, this was practically in my back yard, and the fact that it hit our people. This whole thing has me torn up inside like it does many, but I don't feel comfortable with allowing that to show since I'm still too scared to even tell people I'm gay. So here I am, speaking with the people that do know, you guys here on EC.

One thing I would like to point out which is so heartwarming is the fact that I have never in my life have seen a community quite like the LGBT who gathers together to help their own. I work for a blood bank and if anyone has been keeping up with the news, we've been getting hammered here in Florida. Though I'm physically and emotionally exhausted, it's humbling to see such a great community coming together in a time such as this.

My EC friends, this I wanted all of you to know, we are all part of one great community that watches out for one another. I have seen proof of that these last few days ten fold. And though my heart hurts for what has happened. I feel great to have seen the good in people as well.

2. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    like i posted in sumone elses post, this one actually made me feel sad and angry..911 and the marathon one didnt faze me and i kni thats messed up but people die everyday i guess thats what i figured then...but this one actually made me think like "damn that couldve been any gay club, ive been to a few of them, this couldve happened anytime..." i feel lucky and at the same time sympathetic for those who lost their family members or significant others or friends...so fuked up and sad.. :frowning2:

3. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to school with one of the guys that was there and able to escape. He ended up saving a guy's life. It's crazy to think that we as a group of people could be targeted for just being who we are. 9/11 and Boston were terrible and I felt sad about all of the terrorist attacks and such. But I think what makes this stand out to me is that he targeted a specific group of people. In the past, it has mostly just been a targeted area where there would be a large concentration of people. But this was targeting and very specific community. We have to look out for one another, and not just inside the LGBT community. Look out for your family, friends, and even those who don't agree with you on certain topics. The only way to make things better is to spread love and kindness beyond just one group of people.

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    <3

Honestly... I am yet to feel a thing about Orlando, basically. Like... I think it's sad. But I'm[/I not sad. Because, like... I kind of don't, like, feel things anymore, it seems... I shall have to discuss with my psychiatrist about my medicine, I think...

It is very common for groups of people to look out for each other in times of great need - that's human nature. It's instinct. It is very important both from an evolutionary perspective and in our current-day societies.

5. laviedadele

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I keep bringing it up with people around me, and they know about it and think it's sad, but they're not the ones bringing it up and don't feel as outraged about it. And I wonder why... Perhaps because its a group of people that I probably belong to that has been targeted.