1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal to be unable to remember dreams/have nightmares?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kibou97, Jun 16, 2016.

1. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So for a few years now, I've been having fewer and fewer dreams and nightmares. For my entire time in highschool and since about the middle of middle school (roughly 5.5 years) I havent had a single nightmare. Some may consider this fortunate and while I also do consider it fortunate, I can't help but wonder if this is normal. I also don't have many dreams, maybe once a week. Whenever I do have dreams, I can't really remember them, just small details about them. For example, I had a random dream last night where I bought two video games and a can of the Monster energy drink from the gas station. However, I can remember there were people I know there but I cant remember who they are and also can't remember what the games were that i bought but i remember the fact that both the people and games were distinct and recognizable. Is it odd that I can only remember certain aspects of a dream but nothing else?

2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say you remember quite a lot from a dream. If I remember I'd actually dreamt SOMETHING, it's a big thing for me. Also, I think it's a lot connected to how well you rest. If you are really busy it wouldn't be a surprise to not recall having dreamt recently.

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope that's perfectly normal. I used to have severe nightmares that ended up aiding my insomnia when I was younger and since around that age of 15 they eased up and I rarely remember the details of my dreams/that I was dreaming at all. It's all about the stage of sleep you end up waking up in as to whether or not you remember you dreams or not, if you wake up whilst in REM sleep you're more likely to remember details. It's boring psych stuff but the main point is that no, it's not at all odd.

4. TigerStripes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you finish your your REM cycle (the deep part of sleep), your dream will have finished long enough before you wake that you can't remember it. An inability to remember dreams, odd as it may seem, mean that your sleep cycles are going uninterrupted and you're generally sleeping better. :thumbsup: