1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I go to Pride?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by PennyT, Jun 16, 2016.

1. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a pride festival and parade that I'm interested in going to in Minneapolis soon. I don't have anyone to go with. I'm a little worried about going alone because I'm still questioning and working through some stuff. I'm barely an adult and going to something like this as a teenager seems terrifying. I'm also not sure what to expect. I can't remember the last parade I went to, and I'm not sure what a pride festival looks like. I'm not sure what to wear, or how to act, or what to do if I actually go. I'm also not sure that, if I go, I should tell my parents - who I'm not out to - that I've going.

Thoughts?:help:

2. Uncolored

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HEY PENNY! :grin:
    Yes! Go to PRIDE!
    Don't worry! You can go alone! You aren't that young sweetheart, you are 19. That is a pretty normal age for a Pride event, it isn't like anyone cares how old you are anyways. There is always a big mix of ages and orientations at Pride.
    Here are a few things you need to know:
    1. A lot of straight people (allies) go to Pride. You could take a straight friend along with you if you want. Going alone is perfectly acceptable too, I went alone and then ran into some of my friends later. You can also meet friends too while the parade is going on! Pride is a big social opportunity to meet people.
    2. No one will question you. If you are questioning that is okay! Believe it or not, a lot of people come "out of the closet" in college, or realize it for themselves. You will find a lot of people your age at a Pride event.
    3. Some people dress up for Pride, most don't. Do not feel the need to conform, Pride is not about conforming, it is about being yourself and loving yourself.
    4. Don't pressure yourself to tell your parents, just have fun! You are at an age where your parents expect you to do things and not tell them. I think that you will feel a lot more comfortable with yourself after going to Pride. So go, enjoy!

3. seeking

I want to go to pride in my area... but it's in a major city, cost money to travel there, cost money to enter the events.

I would go to the parade, but I don't think I can financially do it this year. But, I've seen small sections of the pride parade. I would say it's worth it.

Every time I go I just feel so much love. Everyone is accepting they are nice to everyone whether you are gay or straight. You honestly meet the most friendly and loving people.

There are usually some people that go to the events with signs about the sin of being gay (all type of heavily religious fanatics). But, there is a lot of positive that over powers the negative.

Just always stay alert. It's a dangerous world out here.

I agree with everything uncolored has stated.

4. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for y'all's replies! I think I'll give it a shot, maybe. Do anti-lgbt protestors ever get violent or do they just yell? Is it easy to ignore them? And what exactly happens at the festivals besides people dressing up and having fun? Also, how do you meet people? Do people just strike up conversations?

5. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The one time I saw some anti-gay protesters, all they did was stand near the entrance to the festival holding signs. There's also cops/security at the entrances, so I wouldn't expect anything :slight_smile: .

As far as "happens at the festivals besides people dressing up and having fun?" really thats it, if you've ever been to a regular festival, its not greatly different than those.
    Should be A stage(or stages) with DJs/Bands/Maybe a Drag-queen show, a line up of vendor tents along the street handing out information for various groups or selling 'pride stuff'.