1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that love is love is love, please help

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by janeausten, Jun 17, 2016.

1. janeausten

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Growing up, I was a church kid. Sunday school, kid's clubs, youth groups and church camps. I learned that although God loves everyone and that we ought to love others, that it was wrong to be gay, a sin as they like to call it. So I never questioned my own sexuality and when I began noticing other girls, I dismissed it telling myself it wasn't right.
    Then one day I met a girl who became one of my best friends and from day 1 I knew it was more than just friendship I desired. Sadly she moved away and I was left confused.
    I have been afraid of being open with my family and friends as I work within the church and I am scared that admitting that I am bi, or at least curious about that part of myself, that that would jeopardize my position, or cause me to be rejected.
    I don't know what to do, I want to explore my sexuality but I don't know how, and I don't have the courage to be so bold. I look to you for your own experiences with the church and any stories about exploring your sexuality that may be of encouragement.
    Thank you very much, love to you all!

#1 janeausten, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this difficult situation and I hope you will be able to find a way to move forward, without jeopardising your position.

Christian attitudes towards the LGBT community vary from denomination to denomination. For example, the Episcopal Church in America has a positive relationship with the LGBT community and many of it's ordained ministers are openly gay. The same is true of the Church of Scotland in my own country, and the Western Anglican Church is generally tolerant and accepting too.

The Catholic Church still has a way to go, but attitudes do seem to be shifting within Catholicism. It's a long and difficult process, but the current Pope seems more open than his immediate predecessors. The biggest problem seems to arise in many (but not all) Evangelical, Pentecostal and Baptist Churches, where the Bible is seen as the literal and infallible word of God and route to salvation. Has that been your personal experience?

I can only say that my own experience has been positive. I am an Anglican (Church of England) and openly gay within my church. I worship alongside other openly gay people and I have found support, comfort and friendship amongst the wider congregation. I'm sure I would find it very difficult in some other denominations.

Sometimes, as LGBT Christians, we need to seek out those churches that accept and welcome us and allow us to grow in our relationship with God. I don't know how you would feel about that?

3. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi janeausten... nice to meet you. I totally agree with Patrick that finding a church that is more accepting would be your best way to stay within the Christian community. With that said, you shouldn't let others (friends, family or the church) keep you from being who you are inside. I struggled in high school with the same feelings. I'm Wiccan so I never had the difficulties others have with the LGBT community. Good luck and keep us in the loop on how things are progressing. Bright Blessings!!!!

Attached Files: